15 Best Hair Color Products
Save your money and get great hair color at home with these reader-approved finds
See the 15 best at-home hair color products now.
Once you select your ideal hair color product, follow these simple guidelines so that your beautiful, affordable at-home hair color experience doesn't turn into a messy disaster -- one that might cost you even more than the aforementioned salon price tag.
1. Stay within two shades of your current hair color. Don't try to go platinum if you're a brunette, please. Keep the heavy-duty dramatic changes to the professionals. At-home hair color products were not chemically designed for this type of transformation.
2. Keep in mind that semi-permanent colors won't lighten your hair -- they can only make it darker.
3. Test your new color on a strand of hair underneath your top layer before coloring your whole head. This way, if you don't get what you expected, you can easily cover it up.
4. Apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly along your hairline and behind your ears so as to avoid staining your skin with dye.
5. Follow the directions on the box to a tee. This includes recommended times. You don't want to end up with green hair, do you?
Now that you're armed with a few no-fail tips, go check out the reader-selected 15 best at-home hair color products.
SEE NEXT PAGE: No. 15: Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Multi-Lights, $6.99