Counter-Intuitive Beauty Advice: Why You SHOULD Moisturize Oily Skin
- Posted by Sarah on November 2, 2009 at 04:47PM
It might sound weird, but it's totally true: even if you have super oily skin, you should still use moisturizer.
I wish I had known this as a teenager. I, of course, had super-oily, acne prone skin and I never touched moisturizer because I was sure it would break me out more. Instead I just applied every acne product I could find and tried to dry my skin out as much as possible. Sound familiar?
The reason this doesn't work is that your skin needs some moisture and if it gets too dry, it will produce more oil to make up for it. So by drying out your skin and not adding moisture, you're actually making it oilier! (As if the world wasn't cruel enough already.)
Now, the trick is to find the right moisturizer for your oily or acne-prone skin. TotalBeauty.com readers have a few suggestions:
"Use one with tea tree, witch hazel or seaweed in it," suggests TotalBeauty.com reader Bianca_S.
"I made that mistake for so many years, but since I've been moisturizing regularly my acne has became better There are also some moisturizers out there that also have salicylic acid in them, so not only do they moisturize, but they also help treat acne as well. I know Clean & Clear makes one that I used for awhile," says ama1221.
"I really like Neutrogena's Oil Free Moisturizer, but any good oil-free moisturizer will work," says Retrodiva.
"I have oily, acne prone skin as well and the best thing I have found is Cosmedicine Medi Matte Oil Control lotion. It leaves your skin hydrated but absorbs oil while leaving a nice, matte finish. It also has SPF 20 and makes an excellent primer. It is well worth the $42," says makeup_love.
"I've been using Juice Beauty Green Apple Antioxidant Moisturizer and it is AMAZING. It will help keep your skin clear, smooth, and hydrated, because it has lemon juice, honey and glycolic acid in it (and lots of other great stuff)," says happyphantom.
Still looking for the perfect moisturizer? Get help here.
Need more help with acne? We've got that too.
Trying to fight the dreaded combo of acne and aging? No sweat with this guide.
- Read previous blog:
Eyelash Growing Products: Miracle-Workers or All Hype?
- Read next blog:
Do You Still Get Pedicures When It\'s Cold Outside?
- RebeccaTurner: Exercises can be done to enlarge the breasts as well. It is the cheapest and most natural way to enlarge them. It does require a lot of...
- gerrsbabe: I love green tea, but had no idea it was such a versatile beauty ingredient. I am going to have to stock up! Thanx...
- myspadeal: This is very informative blog and i got very informative knowledge from this blog.
- EricaF123: I start at the top, thanks for the advice
- acne: I love my hairs because recently I have taken hair straightening. Now I have smooth and silky hairs.
People Style Watch