Foods that Actually Make Teeth Whiter
- Posted by Sarah on August 2, 2011 at 05:19PM
I thought I had a pretty good handle on this whole teeth-whitening thing. I wrote about the best and worst teeth whiteners here, and I know which foods and drinks are extra stain-inducing (coffee, soda, red wine -- aka all the drinks I love most). But now I'm learning that there are foods you can eat that not only won't stain your teeth, they'll actually make them whiter! Um, can you say, "excited?"
Dr. Timothy Chase, a cosmetic dentist at SmilesNY in New York City assures me it's true. "Professional dentistry works the best, however, certain fruits and vegetables can aid in the quest for white teeth."
In case you needed more motivation to start chowing down on the foods he recommends, Chase says, "a healthy smile, white teeth, and healthy gums can take 10 years off your appearance."
OK, I won't make you wait any longer. Here's Chase's list of the top teeth-whitening foods.
Group 1: The crunchies
"Certain foods help to remove bacteria that cause plaque, which hardens into a yellowish tartar if not brushed away soon enough. Crunchy fruits and vegetables work best because they function as an abrasive scrub for your teeth. They also stimulate the production of saliva, which helps to keep plaque from forming," Chase says.
Add these to your grocery shopping list:
Group 2: The polishers
"Strawberries and oranges are both useful for polishing teeth. Rubbing an orange peel or a strawberry over your teeth, followed by washing out your mouth with water, will get you noticeably whiter teeth after a few months," Chase says.
"Dairy products such as yogurt, milk, and cheese contain lactic acid, which may help protect teeth against decay. Hard cheeses are best for whitening because they help remove food particles as well."
What do you think? Will you be adding any of these foods to your diet? If you ask me, it's easier than a month's worth of whitening trays!
- Read previous blog:
The Price of Pretty: Would You Buy Any of These Expensive Beauty Products?
- Read next blog:
Extreme Manicures: Nail Art
- RebeccaTurner: Exercises can be done to enlarge the breasts as well. It is the cheapest and most natural way to enlarge them. It does require a lot of...
- gerrsbabe: I love green tea, but had no idea it was such a versatile beauty ingredient. I am going to have to stock up! Thanx...
- myspadeal: This is very informative blog and i got very informative knowledge from this blog.
- EricaF123: I start at the top, thanks for the advice
- acne: I love my hairs because recently I have taken hair straightening. Now I have smooth and silky hairs.
People Style Watch