Hair Color: Surface or Substance?
- Posted by Charli on April 2, 2008 at 06:38PM
In one of my favorite movies, "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," Kate Winslet's character, Clementine Kruczynski, changes her hair color at least four times. "I apply my personality in a paste," she says. While Clementine was one of the best characters I've ever seen on film, frankly, she was a train wreck who hid unsuccessfully behind her Manic Panic-esque color choices. This along with springtime talk of hair color change got me thinking about all the colors I've tried over the years --
-- and my state of mind when I tried them. Red streaks on black hair spoke to my "punk" phase but I kind of felt like a poser. Golden brown always fit but I needed an edgy cut or extensions to stave off boredom. Blonde gave me the guts to conquer the world (but boy did I get a lot of criticism for not sticking with that "stay within two shades of your natural color" rule). Now, with dark brown/black -- the closest I've ever been to natural, I was aiming for sexy-mysterious but ended up a bit earthy-hippy. (I'm even trying to be more eco-conscious.)
We tend to associate different hair color with different personalities, and I find the reasons why -- from the hotly debated psychology of color to social pressures and stereotypes -- fascinating. But in general I wonder: Is it really as powerful as we think? Have you ever felt your personality is transformed by your hair color? Do you feel like it reflects what's going on inside you -- or distracts from it?
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind images: Focus Features
- RebeccaTurner: Exercises can be done to enlarge the breasts as well. It is the cheapest and most natural way to enlarge them. It does require a lot of...
- gerrsbabe: I love green tea, but had no idea it was such a versatile beauty ingredient. I am going to have to stock up! Thanx...
- myspadeal: This is very informative blog and i got very informative knowledge from this blog.
- EricaF123: I start at the top, thanks for the advice
- acne: I love my hairs because recently I have taken hair straightening. Now I have smooth and silky hairs.
People Style Watch