Top 10 Self Tanner Tips
- Posted by Kristen on June 30, 2008 at 07:14PM
For best results:
Always exfoliate. I know you've heard this a hundred times but it will make or break your results. It will give you a richer, less streaky finish because tanner won't settle into dryer patches of skin. Same goes with moisturizing. If you moisturize your body regularly, you will be less prone to streaking.
If you use a spray self tanner that is bronze in color, step into your shower to spray on the tanner. This will help you avoid turning your bathroom walls, floors and bath mats brown -- yuck.
If you want to get a more subtle tan from a classic self tanner formula, apply moisturizer immediately before tanner to dilute it.
Another key to a streak-free finish is to blend. Keep blending until you don't feel any excess traces of product. And always lightly coat areas like feet, ankles, knees and elbows, which tend to get darker more easily.
If you have very fair skin, opt for a gradual tan formula. You'll be less likely to turn an unsightly shade of orange.
To disguise streaks when in a rush, even out the color by using a liquid bronzer, or even better, a spray bronzer (they're usually water-resistant) to fill in the lighter areas. Ones to try: Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs and MAC Skinsheen Leg Spray. Though they are made for legs, I've used both all over my body.
To get rid of unsightly orange or brown areas of color between your fingers or toes (a common issue) gently swipe nail polish remover, hydrogen peroxide or fresh lemon over those areas to fade the color.
If you're prone to streaking, again opt for a gradual tanner formula instead of a full-blown self tanner. They're much more forgiving when it comes to streaks because of their moisturizing quality and lower tanner levels.
Make it last:
To make your tan last as long as possible, don't shave within a day after applying self tanner. Also, use a gradual self tanning lotion like Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer every couple of days to extend the life of the tan.
Chlorine will fade your self tanner so using a gradual tanner like the one above daily will help maintain your tan through every swim.
P.S. The Lancome Flash Bronzer Instant Colour Self-Tanning Leg Gel pictured above is one of my faves. Check out the reviews -- seems to be a hit among TotalBeauty.com users too!
- lnsay_lana: Hey friends, to make your breast bigger, you should use a naturally exercise guide, it's very effect and safe without pill or surgery....
- RebeccaTurner: Exercises can be done to enlarge the breasts as well. It is the cheapest and most natural way to enlarge them. It does require a lot of...
- gerrsbabe: I love green tea, but had no idea it was such a versatile beauty ingredient. I am going to have to stock up! Thanx...
- myspadeal: This is very informative blog and i got very informative knowledge from this blog.
- EricaF123: I start at the top, thanks for the advice
People Style Watch