Newsflash: You Are Blow Drying Your Hair All Wrong
- Posted by Sarah on August 29, 2011 at 01:34PM
You are blow drying your hair wrong. I repeat: You are blow drying your hair wrong. I know because I was too -- but not anymore.
A little backstory: I am not a blow drying newbie. I know my way around a round brush and I've had more than my fair share of salon blowouts. But after visiting Drybar (a salon that only does blow outs and styling) and having my hair done by founder Alli Webb, my mind was blown. Blown, people! (And, uh, my hair was too as you can see here.)
That's because Webb did the exact opposite of what everyone else does -- and after seeing the results, I can't imagine why anyone would do it any other way.
OK, OK, I'm sure you're dying to know what the heck I'm talking about, so I'll explain. When you blow dry your hair, most people will tell you to section it off and start with the bottom section (basically the hair at the nape of your neck) first. In theory it makes sense. You're drying from the bottom up and keeping your wet hair piled on your head and out of the way.
But here's the problem with that method: The hair that's piled on top of your head, waiting to be dried (and drying into a weird shape on it's own in the meantime) is the hair that's framing your face and topping your head -- aka the MOST IMPORTANT section of hair.
In Webb's words: "Why would you leave the most important section for last? Why wouldn't you do it first and leave the underneath sections [that no one sees] for the end?" Why indeed
When Webb dried my hair, she clipped off the back sections of hair and started with my bangs and roots. Then she flipped the top section of hair over my face while she worked on the lower sections. I'll admit, this does make it a little tricky to DIY, but it's worth it. Webb pointed out that when you flip your hair back at the end you've got way more volume than you would have had if you'd left the top for the end. See the final result below.
In short, Webb's method has revolutionized the way I blow dry my hair. I've got more volume and my hair looks better than it ever did before. What do you think? Will you try this new method? Or are you a blow dry genius who was already using this technique?
- casey_callahan: COLOR YOUR HAIR, PROTECT YOUR SKIN with COLORGUARD Skin Protecting Strips, the Ultimate in Skin Protection, NOW IN A STRIP! COLORGUARD...
- lnsay_lana: Hey friends, to make your breast bigger, you should use a naturally exercise guide, it's very effect and safe without pill or surgery....
- RebeccaTurner: Exercises can be done to enlarge the breasts as well. It is the cheapest and most natural way to enlarge them. It does require a lot of...
- gerrsbabe: I love green tea, but had no idea it was such a versatile beauty ingredient. I am going to have to stock up! Thanx...
- myspadeal: This is very informative blog and i got very informative knowledge from this blog.