7 Lies on Your Makeup Labels
Most of the claims on the front of makeup packaging mean absolutely nothing. Here's what you need to know to cut through the marketing jargon
"Natural" means nothingOf all the confusion in the beauty aisle, organic and natural products might be the worst offenders. "FDA requirements say you only have to use 20 percent natural ingredients to say that a product is natural," explains Tyler Hanson, founder of Mineral Hygienics. "So the other 80 percent? Who knows?" If it's important to you that your makeup is truly organic, make sure the label specifies that the contents are "USDA-certified organic." And research the products through organizations like the Natural Products Association and The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics.
You may also want to consider whether or not natural is the best thing for you. "Just because something is organic or natural doesn't mean it won't irritate your skin," says Tanzi. "Lemon and orange oil are two of the most common irritants found in beauty products -- and that's true even if they're organic." If you have allergies, always do a patch test on the inside of your wrist before slathering an organic cream on your face.
SEE NEXT PAGE: "Anti-aging" ingredients don't really work