Hair Extensions Cheat Sheet: Get Long Hair in a Snap
Why should celebrities and strippers have all the fun? What you need to know about going long
• DO wash them regularly
• DO wash from the weft going down in order to prevent product build-up at the root
• DO treat them as your own hair when heat styling (as in have fun, but know that too much of a good thing can lead to fried hair cuticles)
• DON'T chemically process your extensions. It's better to buy them curly or straight instead of using chemicals to alter the texture.
• DON'T use too many styling products. Hair extensions are best when styled naturally. A little (very little) shine serum or hairspray every now and then should be sufficient to spruce up any dullness. This along with moisturizers, sea salt sprays and strong-hold hairsprays is cause for overkill.
• DON'T use synthetic hair. It looks too much like a cheap Halloween costume.
Dominique, stylist/extensionist says, "The most common mistake people make is not following the guidelines given to them by their stylist. After a proper consultation, make sure you understand how to care for and maintain your style with each type of extension."
Health & beauty