7 Snacks That Taste Fatty But Keep You Skinny
These quick and delicious snack foods are finger-lickin' good for you
Coffee Crumb CakeCake? Healthy? Yup! This mid-morning snack is made with whole grains and antioxidant rich blueberries, raspberries, or cranberries -- all heart-healthy and loaded with fiber to keep you feeling full, says Brennecke.
For the crumb topping:
1/3 cup steel-cut oats
3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch sea salt
1 tablespoon canola oil
5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
1/4 cup low-fat cream cheese
1 1/3 cups evaporated cane juice
3 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 pound fresh blueberries, raspberries, or cranberries
2 cups chopped pecans
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly spray a 10-inch round cake pan with canola oil spray and dust with all-purpose flour.
2. Combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and canola oil in a medium bowl and mix well. Set aside.
3. With an electric mixer, cream the butter, cream cheese, and cane juice in a large mixing bowl. Add the egg yolks and vanilla and beat until just combined.
4. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in another large bowl.
5. Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix briefly. Add 3/4 cup of the buttermilk and mix briefly. Add the remaining flour mixture and mix until just combined. Add the remaining buttermilk and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and top with the blueberries. Sprinkle the crumb topping and pecans evenly over the top of the batter.
7. Bake for 30 minutes. Rotate the cake 180 degrees and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack until the cake pulls away from the pan. Cut into 16 slices to serve.
Each serving contains:
45 g carbohydrate
13 g fat
5 g protein
229 mg sodium
2 g fiber
SEE NEXT PAGE: Pumpkin Crunch