Editors' Picks: 12 Best Lipsticks
Don't pucker up until you've tried these lip makeup gems from Lancome, Clinique, CoverGirl and more
See the editors' best lipstick finds now.
We know that lipstick shades are subjective (and specifically tailored to certain skin tones, hair colors, personality types, etc.), so when testing and judging these lip colors, we focused on the brilliance of their pigments, the smoothness of their application, their longevity, and, of course, their scents (this is a bit odd, but if you don't want your lips to smell like roses or grandma, you better sniff that stick before you buy). Basically, we touched on all of the characteristics we find important in a lip color and weeded out any products that didn't live up to expectations. In the end we wound up with these 12 superstars.
Once you've found the perfect lip makeup for you, follow these tips to avoid making any lip color faux pas:
• Use a lip scrub to slough off dead skin cells so you have a smooth canvas for color. This is especially important to do before wearing bold or dark shades.
• Wipe off any lip balm or moisture that might be on your lips before applying color so it doesn't slip off.
• When using red or bold colors, always use a nude lip liner, or one that exactly matches the color you're applying, to prevent it from bleeding.
• After color application, blot your lips on a tissue then dust loose powder around your mouth to help ensure long-lasting color.
• After applying a bold hue, stick your index finger in your mouth and pull it out while your lips are puckered around it. This will prevent color from transferring onto your teeth.
OK, what are you waiting for? See the editors' best lipstick finds now.
SEE NEXT PAGE: Bobbi Brown Rich Lip Color SPF 12, $25
Health & Beauty