What to Look For
The best eyebrow pencils have a blendable formula that looks natural while still being pigmented, a user-friendly design, and a precise tip that allows you to get the exact look you want. Maybelline’s Total Temptation pencil tops our list since it excels in all those categories, but the shade range isn’t ideal for very dark hair. In that case, you may want to check out NYX’s Micro Brow Pencil, which is available in a few different dark colors. Keep reading to check out our reviews of the best brow pencils on the block and learn why they stood out to us.
Maybelline Total Temptation Eyebrow Definer Pencil
This eyebrow pencil offers a teardrop-shaped pencil on one end and a plump spoolie on the other.
Find on Amazon
This brow pencil has a great tip for shaping natural-looking eyebrows. Whether lining or shading, this point allows the color to glide on smoothly and precisely. The color is durable and lasts all day, and they’re designed to match your skin tone which makes it easy to buy the right one for you. The spoolie fluffs and blends the color well, too, which results in a natural look. The color stick is strong enough to be able to layer for the exact look you want.
- Anyone who has trouble getting their makeup to stay put can appreciate how well this formula hold up, even on oily skin.
- The unique design doesn’t need to be sharpened — just twist the tube for more.
- There is no black in the range of colors.
Covergirl Easy Breezy Brow Micro-Fine + Define Pencil
This eyebrow pencil offers superior versatility due to its exceptionally fine point, while still serving its purpose effectively.
Find on Amazon
Covergirl’s Easy Breezy Brow pencil is exceptionally easy to use on the brow bone, particularly due to the micro-fine pencil point. The product also acts as a defining pencil, making it easy for a person to provide a significant enhancement to the appearance of their brow. The pencil comes in a variety of color options, including soft blonde, soft brown, rich brown, and honey brown. There is no need to worry about having to sharpen the pencil, thanks to its twist-up design.
- The color range, while still somewhat limited, works well on a wide range of skin tones and hair colors.
- This formula avoids the waxiness you can come across in some eyebrow pencils. Instead, the color is easy to blend for a natural-looking result.
- The superfine point featured by the pencil may make it harder for some people to achieve the specific look they desire.
L’Oreal Paris Brow Stylist/Definer
The ultra-fine, self-sharpening tip makes this pencil a top choice.
Find on Amazon
This dual-tip eyebrow pencil offers a super-fine tip for precision and a long spoolie for perfect blending. Like a mechanical pencil, it does not need sharpening. The formula is tested by ophthalmologists and is suitable for contact lens wearers. The fine tip makes it very easy to create individual hairs, and the spoolie blends quite well, making this pick ideal for low-key days..
- It is one of the more affordable pencils on the list and perfectly defines and imitates natural brow hairs.
- The light-haired among us will appreciate that the blonde shade has no pesky red undertones and is a true light blonde.
- The tip is very fine which takes a long time to fill in color if your eyebrows are thin.
NYX Professional Makeup Micro Brow Pencil
This pencil features a range of eight natural colors to suit every skin tone — and it’s cruelty-free, too.
Find on Amazon
The super-skinny tip on NYX’s Micro Brow Pencil allows you to create natural-looking eyebrows with ease. The color coats hair evenly and without clumping. Available in a great color range of eight different shades that include auburn, blonde, and black. The tip works well on thin or sparse brows creating a naturally full look. The color glides on easily and blends well with the spoolie. The finish of the formula has a natural look and layers well. The tip produces a precise line that makes it easy to create the shape you’re after.
- This pencil is surprisingly affordable, especially considering the formula’s quality — NYX produces 100% cruelty-free products that are never tested on animals.
- The wide range of shades makes it easy to find a color that works with the undertones of your skin and hair.
- The creamy formula stays best when used with a primer or fixative.
Revlon ColorStay Eyebrow Pencil
With great color and an all-day formula, this pencil grooms your brows into perfect shape.
Find on Amazon
The chisel-shaped tip of Revlon’s ColorStay eyebrow pencil makes shaping and filling in easy. The self-propelling pencil keeps the color tip in shape and always ready for action. The formula is very soft and creamy that glides on, and does not get crumbly or dry. The spoolie is full and blends color well. The color is waterproof and lasts 24 hours. The high pigmented, natural colors are true to the color swatch and flattering to the skin.
- This formula pulls double duty when it comes to defining your brows. Not only does the pencil apply pigmented, long-lasting color, but the thick formula coats the individual hairs, making them appear thicker.
- Considering this pencil’s premium staying power, we love how affordable it is.
- The color can flake when over-applied.
Frequently Asked Questions
What formula is going to work best for me?
That depends on what look you want to achieve. If you are looking for a light fill-in for your eyebrows (perhaps you are blonde or light brunette), an inexpensive, traditional eyebrow pencil should work just fine. If you are someone with dark or unnatural hair and you are looking to darken more sparse eyebrows or make a statement, the more expensive gel liners are your ticket.
How can I be precise while creating bolder brows?
Getting a precise outline for your brow is all about practice and finesse. Eyebrow pencils are not like a pen or crayon you can just grab and scribble away. You need to practice the shape you want to achieve as it has to be perfectly symmetrical on each brow. You can trace the shape over and over again like a doodle to be familiar with it before you put pencil to skin. You can also practice on your brows, but this can be costly, as there may be product wastage – and frustration – as you need to redraw the lines.
Use an ultra-fine tip eyebrow pencil before filling in to get the finesse you need for a precise shape. You wouldn’t try and eat peas with a pitchfork, so don’t try and make a precise brow with a super-thick, dry pencil tip.
How long does an eyebrow pencil last?
That’s a tricky question. It depends on what you do with it and what you buy. If you are only filling in a few hairs with a traditional stick pencil then it can last weeks. If you are defining and filling in both brows with a creme pencil then it won’t last for long. Most people who create new brows daily in an ultra-fine creme formula, factor in one pencil every four to six weeks. Traditional pencils that are larger and harder last for three or four months with daily use, but the coverage they apply is much less defined. You can extend this by switching to a larger, harder pencil or lightening up on the depth of color.
About the Author
Why Trust Us
Since 2007, TotalBeauty has been committed to helping millions of people find the right makeup, skincare, and haircare products for their needs. Our experts know what works best for every face shape, skin type, hair type, and more. They are here to share that knowledge with everyone looking to upgrade their beauty routines or try something new.