Posted by Total Beauty 05/03/12 at 10:41AM
When it comes to getting silky skin for your walk down the aisle, there are plenty of hair removal options out there to choose from. But none leave your skin feeling quite as smooth as a good waxing. Although, for the uninitiated, the word "waxing" itself can sound a little ... well, intimidating.
If you're a first-timer, chances are you have a few -- or a ton of -- questions about the process: What do you look for in a spa? Should you prep your skin before your appointment? How do you treat the waxed area afterward?
Whether you're bravely getting your bikini line done or simply shaping your eyebrows for the big day, Butterfly Studio Salon waxing technician Christina Marroquin and owner of As "U" Wish Nail Spa Skyy Hadley have got you covered. They shared their expert tips for an excellent wax here:
Before you wax ...
- Visit a new salon or spa before your appointment. If you've never been there before, you want to make sure it's squeaky clean first.
- Make sure your hair is at least 1/4 inch long. Shorter hair will be difficult for the wax to grab and longer hair will make waxing more painful.
- The day before, gently exfoliate the area that will be waxed with a puff or scrub. It'll remove dead skin cells and prevent ingrown hairs.
- Wear loose-fitting cotton pants or a skirt if you're getting a bikini wax. Hadley says it's important to let the treated area breathe.
- Reduce discomfort before it happens. Marroquin recommends "taking an aspirin or drinking a glass of wine an hour before your appointment to minimize the pain."
During the appointment ...
- Request a hard wax. The difference? Marroquin says it is applied a little thicker than traditional wax, peels away without strips, and is less painful. "It's a very gentle yet strong wax that's perfect for bikini areas," she adds.
- Keep an eye on the waxer. "Always make sure the waxing technicians never re-dip the waxing applicator into the wax pot," says Marroquin. "It's best that they use a separate container just for your application and re-dip your individual applicator into your personal wax pot to avoid bacteria and infection."
After the appointment ...
- Soothe your skin. Hadley prefers to apply an aloe lotion or gel onto her client's treated area to relieve the skin.
RECENT BRIDAL VIDEOS
- Romantic Wedding Hairstyle (2:18) Views: 13436 Comments: 4
- Classic Wedding Hairstyle How-To (1:49) Views: 17040 Comments: 3
- Makeup For Photos (2:01) Views: 40011 Comments: 4