Posted by Total Beauty 12/18/12 at 10:11AM
By Dawn Davis
I was recently a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding, and securing her veil was one of the biggest challenges we -- her trusty team of eight -- faced while helping her get ready for the ceremony. She was wearing the ubiquitous messy side-bun, which was beautiful but didn't leave an obvious shelf for the veil's comb. We eventually figured out how and where to attach it (with extra bobby pins, right in the middle of the back of her head), but it left me wondering: What's the best tactic for ensuring your veil and hairstyle work together?
So when I had the chance to speak with Gabriella Risatti, owner of Gabriella New York Bridal Salon, I quizzed her on the subject. These are her tips and tricks:
1. Your veil and hairstyle should complement each other. "If you choose a more voluminious veil, then it would be more appropriate to have a clean updo with your hair neatly pulled back," says Risatti. "A low chignon with a side part is ideal for adding a traditional long veil. If opting for a bird cage or French veil, a vintage inspired hair style looks fantastic."
2. Leave a twist of hair where you can secure the veil. Regardless of the hairstyle, you need to have a "shelf" for the comb -- if you're working with a hairstylist, make sure they understand this.
3. Bring your veil to your hair trial. Or if you're doing your own hair, try out the veil before the big day.
4. Secure it correctly. "Hold the comb upside down with the teeth of the comb angled towards the front of your head," explains Risatti. "Put the comb into your hair at a 45-degree angle and then rotate it backwards so the concave part of the comb is now facing downwards. Then, slide the comb down into your hair until it feels secure. Insert one bobby pin on either side of the comb, making sure that the bobby pins attach to the comb and your hair."
5. You can wear a veil and a jeweled clip, just place it above or to the side of the veil. "Keep in mind, once you remove your veil for the reception, the barrette will be center stage," says Risatti. "So it should be placed where you like it best regardless of your veil."
Now share: Are you wearing a veil for your wedding? What style?
RECENT BRIDAL VIDEOS
- Romantic Wedding Hairstyle (2:18) Views: 13436 Comments: 4
- Classic Wedding Hairstyle How-To (1:49) Views: 17040 Comments: 3
- Makeup For Photos (2:01) Views: 40011 Comments: 4