The Worst Drugstore Hairstyling Products
- Posted by Kristen on June 4, 2010 at 06:23PM
Had to share this conversation between two friends I overheard last night in the beauty aisle of a drugstore (see the 20 best drugstore beauty buys here):
Friend 1: I think I'm gonna try this volume-boosting hairspray.
Friend 2: Don't do it. It doesn't do squat in the volume department. It's like a shellac and it smells terrible -- don't waste your money.
Friend 1: Really? I looove the packaging though, but I guess I should trust you -- you and your annoyingly perfect Pantene commercial-worthy hair.
Friend 2: Try this one instead, it's way better.
Unfortunately we don't always have our product-savvy sidekick with us to help navigate the beauty aisle, but this list of the worst drugstore hairstyling products is the next best thing.
Garnier Fructis Style Fiber Gum Putty, $3.99
TotalBeauty.com average reader rating: 6.3
One reader says, "if I use too much [of the putty] it will actually flatten my hair." While another adds, "I think it was a little sticky." See why other readers agree that this product is a let down.
Marc Anthony Strictly Curls Curl Defining Lotion, $7.99
TotalBeauty.com average reader rating: 6
Readers say this product "doesnt have lasting power" finding that, "after hours it looked as though I hadn't added anything. I reapplied and again within an hour it was back to frizz." Read about the strange coating that it leaves on hair.
Frizz-Ease Straight Answer Straightening Spray, $9.99
TotalBeauty.com average reader rating: 5.6
Readers call this spray "horrible!" saying, "it left my fine hair almost feeling like cotton candy made my hair more frizzy." See what type of strange smell it has.
Dove Smooth & Soft Anti-Frizz Cream, $7.99
TotalBeauty.com average reader rating: 5.1
An unhappy reader says, "you get what you pay for," while another adds, "this didn't tame my frizz at all. If anything, I had more frizz after I used it. It also weighed my hair down and made it tangle easier." See why Dove disappointed other readers.
Pantene Texture Moussing Foam Wax, $4.99
TotalBeauty.com average reader rating: 4.9
Readers say this product leaves hair "greasy" and "waxy." One reader says, "I already have really thin, curly hair, but this mousse weighed down my hair and made it limp, flat and stringy. I absolutely hate this mouse." See more readers give their $0.02 on this product.
Drugstores do carry awesome products too like these top-rated shampoos.
Check out the best drugstore conditioners while you're at it.
Want in on a little beauty discount secret? See how to get great deals and exclusive offers on beauty products here.
- Read previous blog:
Best Beauty Tips for African American Women
- Read next blog:
MTV Movie Awards: Which Celebrity Hairstyles and Makeup Looked the Best? Cast Your Vote!
- casey_callahan: COLOR YOUR HAIR, PROTECT YOUR SKIN with COLORGUARD Skin Protecting Strips, the Ultimate in Skin Protection, NOW IN A STRIP! COLORGUARD...
- lnsay_lana: Hey friends, to make your breast bigger, you should use a naturally exercise guide, it's very effect and safe without pill or surgery....
- RebeccaTurner: Exercises can be done to enlarge the breasts as well. It is the cheapest and most natural way to enlarge them. It does require a lot of...
- gerrsbabe: I love green tea, but had no idea it was such a versatile beauty ingredient. I am going to have to stock up! Thanx...
- myspadeal: This is very informative blog and i got very informative knowledge from this blog.