Makeovers for the Homeless? Yup!
- Posted by Kristen on July 22, 2010 at 06:12PM
I for one love a good makeover. I'm not just talking makeup or hair makeovers either (though they are my faves, sorry can't lie), but makeovers that involve the soul -- changing oneself physically or mentally in order to feel better or raise one's self confidence -- you just can't beat that. Makeovers often get flack for being superficial, but the truth is, that when used effectively and in the right mindset, changing up your makeup or hairstyle can actually be liberating. How? You are choosing to take time for yourself, to enhance your inner beauty and make yourself shine a little brighter -- literally and metaphorically.
So what happens when you have a population of women who have forgotten their importance? How do you make women who, to many, are invisible or have been cast out of everyday society due to their circumstances, feel as though they still matter? You show them -- through action, and a little bit of blush and hairspray, that they too deserve to feel good about themselves. This is what the Glamour Project is doing. The non-profit, founded by Kara Fox and Evvy Shapero, is "dedicated to improving the lives of disadvantaged women through kindness, compassion and photography!" They go into homeless shelters around the Los Angeles area and give makeovers to women who have suffered great loss, often from neglect or abuse, and take glamour shots of them in order to remind these women they can "reclaim their confidence, beauty and sense of hope."
The Glamour Project reminds us that "being homeless is a circumstance not an identity," and that with "a more glamorous identity comes the beginning of a new belief in oneself and in lifes possibilities!"
Visit the GlamourProject.org to see pictures of the makeovers and to learn how you can get involved in their beautiful project.
Check out this list of other charities working to make the world a more beautiful place.
Also see how moms can get a quick makeover to boost their spirits.
And see how even celebrities get a boost of confidence by way of dramatic hair makeovers.
Want in on a little beauty discount secret? See how to get great deals and offers on beauty products here.
- Read previous blog:
Get Demi Lovato\'s Award Show Look with Her Skin and Makeup Tips
- Read next blog:
Celebrity Hairstyles Poll: Can You Spot the Real Redhead?
- lnsay_lana: Hey friends, to make your breast bigger, you should use a naturally exercise guide, it's very effect and safe without pill or surgery....
- RebeccaTurner: Exercises can be done to enlarge the breasts as well. It is the cheapest and most natural way to enlarge them. It does require a lot of...
- gerrsbabe: I love green tea, but had no idea it was such a versatile beauty ingredient. I am going to have to stock up! Thanx...
- myspadeal: This is very informative blog and i got very informative knowledge from this blog.
- EricaF123: I start at the top, thanks for the advice
People Style Watch