Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Concealer vs. Corrector?

Discussion

sprout117
allstar
1 year ago
Concealer vs. Corrector?

My aunt went to bobbi brown and got a beauty makeover...the saleslady gave her a concealer, corrector and new foundation. 

In which order would she apply this before actual make up (blush, lipstick, eyeshadow, etc)? 

Also, what's the difference between a concealer and corrector? 

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

3 Replies

volta
elite
1 year ago
Re: Concealer vs. Corrector?

It depends. Is the corrector under the eye or on the face? Corrector, foundation concealer. If only under the eyes, most times it's okay to apply foundation, corrector, then concealer. Concealer is an ultra high pigmented form of foundation that is often thicker in order to smooth the appearance of skin as well as cover imperfections. Corrector is a specific color-based cream to counteract/neutralize pigmentation issues underneath makeup. Imagine the color wheel we learned about in grade school. If you have a corrector that appears orange, that neutralizes blue pigments in the skin; pink neutralizes green pigments, yellow neutralizes purple pigments, green neutralizes red pigments. You wear corrector to neutralize these colors to avoid having to keep laying concealer and foundation. You minimize the pigmentation issue with as little makeup as possible.

volta
elite
1 year ago

Normally, corrector is for under the eyes and concealer is for the spots. However, you can use color correctors on the face (especially if you have a lot of redness, a green corrector will help). However, I've used color correctors all over the face/body for my clients. For example, I use a pink brightener under my eyes because my dark circles are more green tinted. Then I put on concealer. Normally I just put on concealer on the dark spots because for MOST people, the foundation already has a tone that can double as a color corrector. For example, if you are olive tone like I am, and I have a reddish-purplish acne scar, the yellow tone of the foundation will act as neutralizer as well, then I just have to put on concealer for a little more coverage. Another example is if a person has a pinker tone to the skin and they have more greenish-bluish dark circles under the eyes, gently brushing foundation under the eye area will help neutralize the dark circles and you can add concealer on top if necessary. Naturally, this method does not always work for everybody, but it is great way to cut down on the amount of products you use on yourself. It's not just for the face, but I do tattoo coverup for people on a daily basis and I use several color correctors first. Most typically I will use an orange color corrector because most tattoos are black or bluish in tone, sometimes even a pink color corrector because most tattoos fade to a greenish tint. Just as long as you blend everything well, it will look natural. If you think that adding and building layers of concealer under the eye will cover--it will--but too much product can lead to quick creasing and caking under the eyes. Having a color corrector greatly reduces the amount of product and the amount of time it takes to create the same effect of covering dark circles. Regardless, remember that putting on way too much product will not only lead to creasing, but also will look less natural.

sprout117
allstar
1 year ago

I think she has undereye circles and also has some dark spots. So with that being said, the corrector must be for the dark spots and concealer must be for under eyes. I personally use concealer for undereyes and then put on my foundation because I dont need much other coverage and it makes my concealer look natural. That works for me. In my aunts case, based on what you said, I guess I'll tell her corrector first and suggest that she play either way with the concealer/foundation....see which looks better?

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend