Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask a Beauty Blogger » facial regimen..so confused!

Discussion

kay1027
1 year ago
facial regimen..so confused!

I recently bought skin care products, I purchased Neutrogena pore defining exfoliating cleanser, Neutrogena pore defining toner,a light moisturizer & freeman dead sea mineral face mask..im not sure in what way to use them I am worried because my skin is verfy dry & flaky..ive done a TON of research & still no answers..also if anyone has advice how to prevent beakouts on back/shoulders please do my back is very bad at the moment

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

13 Replies

GigiSD
elite
1 year ago
Re: facial regimen..so confused!

A facial regimen is generally to cleanse twice daily, following with toner each time, and then moisturize. Afterward, apply cosmetics. Twice a week after cleansing, exfoliate skin to get rid of the upper layer of flakes and dead cells. Once a week use the Freeman mask to deep-clean pores and prevent blemishes. I personally LOVE Neutrogena products, but you may need more than just a light moisturizer, especially at night, since you are having problems with dry patches. A serum and a heavier cream may be in order during the sleeping hours to whip your skin into shape. You may want to experiment here and hit the drugstore/department store counters (remember to keep your receipt to return what doesn't work for you): Pond's "Dry Skin Cream" is excellent, as is Clinique's "Moisture Surge," Kiehl's Ultra Face Moisturizer," Ole Henriksen's "Sheer Transformation Cream" (Henriksen sample size kits available at Sephora), and Mary Kay's "Intense Moisturizing Cream." As for your back, breakouts are common, especially during winter months, because your skin is in constant contact with clothing. Wash gently but thoroughly (you may want to use Neutrogena's body wash for acne here). A product with Benzoyl Peroxide generally clears blemishes quickly, but it can also bleach the colors from clothing. Be sure to wear a white t-shirt so that you don't ruin your bed linens or anything else. I hope that helps; get back to me with any questions, please.

GigiSD
elite
1 year ago
Re: Re: Re: facial regimen..so confused!
kay1027 posted:

thank you so much for clarifying! im 23 years old by the way do you have any suggestions on what to exfoliate with?

Thanks for telling me! If you don't want to "break the bank," try St.Ives Invigorating Apricot Scrub (carried by just about every drugstore). I've used it since my teen years (note the high ratings for this on the site). Just don't overdo so that you create minute tears in your skin and do damage. I also like Suki's "Exfoliate Lemon Cleanser." It is comprised of sugars which break down and handle skin more gently, but it can become pricey. Glad I could help--I'm always here for you!

kay1027
1 year ago
Re: Re: Re: Re: facial regimen..so confused!
GigiSD posted:

Thanks for telling me! If you don't want to "break the bank," try St.Ives Invigorating Apricot Scrub (carried by just about every drugstore). I've used it since my teen years (note the high ratings for this on the site). Just don't overdo so that you create minute tears in your skin and do damage. I also like Suki's "Exfoliate Lemon Cleanser." It is comprised of sugars which break down and handle skin more gently, but it can become pricey. Glad I could help--I'm always here for you!

thank you so much I recently just started taking extra care of my skin when I noticed constant breakouts & decided to try something different! your tips were so helpful quite a life saver

GigiSD
elite
1 year ago
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: facial regimen..so confused!
kay1027 posted:

thank you so much I recently just started taking extra care of my skin when I noticed constant breakouts & decided to try something different! your tips were so helpful quite a life saver

You are SO welcome! My pleasure!!!

jenn8779
allstar
11 months, 3 weeks ago

I see below that you are 23 yrs old. You stated you are having dry skin issues (and flaking) but are also experiencing breakouts? In order to truly discover the type of skin you actually have (i.e. oily, dry, combination) wash your face with a gentle cleanser, don't apply anything, like moisturizer, wait approx 20 minutes and see how your skin looks and feels. Is it dry all over (then dry skin)? oily all over (then oily skin)? oily t-zone but dry cheeks (indicates combo skin)? comfortable all over, not too dry or too oily (would be normal skin)? Once you have a fair idea of your true skin type, it will be easier to treat it. I would make a few recommendations- 1st- if your skin really is a dry skin type, i'd be careful of using both an exfoliating cleanser and a scrub, as this may over-exfoliate which will then cause you to become reactivly sensitive and may cause you to overproduce oil and then breakout worse. I would also be careful of that toner, especially if it contains any alcohol or witchhazel as both can just dry you more. DivaRose's advice to cleanse 2x a day is spot on, and that you may need a more intensive moisturizer if you are truly dry. The Freeman mask is great and I use it myself. One word of warning- if your skin is a dry skin type, I'd use that mask only 1x a week as it can be drying. If you're skin is truly oily, you can use it 2-3x per week (3x in the summer/warm weather). I always warn folks not to layer too many products containing glycolic acids, alpha-hydroxy acids or salicylic acids.....these can definitely as these are all exfoliators (meaning they're going to take the top layer of dead skin off) and this goes back to over-exfoliating the skin.

jenn8779
allstar
11 months, 3 weeks ago

Some great products to recommend: if dry: Burt's Bees Intense Hydration line- contains clary sage that not only helps to keep skin hydrated but also is good for acne and uses probiotics, which helps to balance skin (I seem to be seeing this everywhere- Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreen's, etc). For a skin that is truly oily- really like Vichy's NormaDerm line as it has products for reducing oil production as well as treating acne (my local CVS stores have the whole line). I personally have had some issues with Neutrogena products (I am VERY sensitive) so I have no recommendations from their line but they get great reviews and derms love them. Its a great line to start with for sure! For the back breakouts- again DivaRose has given you a great recommendation in the Neutrogena body line....just read multiple articles recommending their pink grapefruit acne clearing body wash for exactly that issue!

GigiSD
elite
1 year ago

You don't state your age; that would be a great help in directing you.

kay1027
1 year ago
Re: Re: facial regimen..so confused!
GigiSD posted:

You don't state your age; that would be a great help in directing you.

thank you so much for clarifying! im 23 years old by the way do you have any suggestions on what to exfoliate with?

GigiSD
elite
11 months, 3 weeks ago
Re: Re: facial regimen..so confused!
jenn8779 posted:

Some great products to recommend: if dry: Burt's Bees Intense Hydration line- contains clary sage that not only helps to keep skin hydrated but also is good for acne and uses probiotics, which helps to balance skin (I seem to be seeing this everywhere- Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreen's, etc). For a skin that is truly oily- really like Vichy's NormaDerm line as it has products for reducing oil production as well as treating acne (my local CVS stores have the whole line). I personally have had some issues with Neutrogena products (I am VERY sensitive) so I have no recommendations from their line but they get great reviews and derms love them. Its a great line to start with for sure! For the back breakouts- again DivaRose has given you a great recommendation in the Neutrogena body line....just read multiple articles recommending their pink grapefruit acne clearing body wash for exactly that issue!

Jenn's given some huge help--hope it works!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend