Home » Community » Message Boards » Everything Makeup » Foundation primers that aren't too expensive?

Discussion

mikenza
insider
1 year, 3 months ago
Foundation primers that aren't too expensive?

I'm looking for a foundation primer, but i don't want to pay more than 25$ for it. So drugstores or just cheaper primers. I also want one that lasts long, most that I try, run out really fast. What are some decently priced, long lasting, good foundation primers?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

10 Replies

Helmi
allstar
1 year, 2 months ago
Re: Foundation primers that aren't too expensive?

Here's one that I've wanted to try. It comes with pretty good reviews, too. Avon Magix Face Perfector: http://shop.avon.com/shop/product.aspx?level1_id=300&level2_id=301&pdept_id=314&dept_id=396&cat_type=C&pf_id=34410 You could also use the Beauty Product Finder feature at Allure.com. Just choose your needs and specifications(including budget) and click on your results.

CaroleVonAllten
elite
1 year, 1 month ago

I am a makeup artist and work as a consultant. I have tested many, many foundation primers, and the only one I use is Porefessional by Benefit. It does cover pores efficiently. You do not need a primer. If you have a goof foundation, and you finish it with a translucent powder, the foundation will not disappear. Don't forget, these are makeup companies trying to make money by selling a bill of goods that you need eyeshadow primer, foundation primer, beauty balms, tinted moisturizers. Tthey are leading us down a path to line their pockets with money by creating a false need. That being said, please invest in a decent foundation you can test at good department stores, Sephora or ULTA. You need to have a color match, and have the sales person help you find the right foundation for you. Try Clinique, Estee Lauder, Too Faced at Sephora and ULTA and Kat Von D at Sephora only. The latter has incredible coverage, and believe me, it's not going anywhere. It is very natural, and a teeny bit goes a long way. Here again, the staff at Sephora can do a color match and you can test. That is key. Don't buy a drugstore brand, only to turn around and return it because you couldn't test it. Stay away from Garnier, L'Oreal and other drugstore brands. They simply are not worth the money. I have probably tried all of them on my subjects, and have narrowed the lineup to those I mention. I hope this helps you, and good luck! Carole

karen_russell
1 year, 2 months ago
Re: Re: Foundation primers that aren't too expensive?
Helmi posted:

Here's one that I've wanted to try. It comes with pretty good reviews, too. Avon Magix Face Perfector: http://shop.avon.com/shop/product.aspx?level1_id=300&level2_id=301&pdept_id=314&dept_id=396&cat_type=C&pf_id=34410 You could also use the Beauty Product Finder feature at Allure.com. Just choose your needs and specifications(including budget) and click on your results.

Hard Candy has a nice primer. It makes my face feel very soft. Love it! You can get it at Walmart for $8.

Lilies516
insider
1 year, 1 month ago

I have worked for a few makeup counters and now I have been an independent consultant for some time now ; my absolute favorite primer is Lancome's la base . It costs $42 but I use it everyday and have had the bottle for over a year and I've only used 25% of it. You only use half of a dime size on your entire face. I've also used it and haven't put foundation on. It just keeps my face glow and even. Ask at a counter for an application of it and see how you like it ! :)

regularjo64
1 year, 2 months ago

I like the Hard Candy primers too, but there are a couple I've been wanting to try. Tarte has a Primer Trio that retails for about $12. It comes with 2 face primers and an eye primer. I've also been wanting to try Benefit's Dr. Feelgood, but that runs about $18. Right now I'm using Garnier's BB Cream, the one with shine control. It's tinted and it feels like it has a primer built in. It makes my skin look and feel great, all for about $11!

Lttlebeautyblog
insider
1 year, 2 months ago

Try using a bb cream as a primer. I've tried the ones by Loreal and Garnier. They are about $12 and can be found in the skincare aisle. You get extra coverage, lasting power for your foundation, sunscreen, and anti aging benefits :) LOVE bb creams!

HeathRene
elite
1 year ago
CaroleVonAllten posted:

I am a makeup artist and work as a consultant. I have tested many, many foundation primers, and the only one I use is Porefessional by Benefit. It does cover pores efficiently. You do not need a primer. If you have a goof foundation, and you finish it with a translucent powder, the foundation will not disappear. Don't forget, these are makeup companies trying to make money by selling a bill of goods that you need eyeshadow primer, foundation primer, beauty balms, tinted moisturizers. Tthey are leading us down a path to line their pockets with money by creating a false need. That being said, please invest in a decent foundation you can test at good department stores, Sephora or ULTA. You need to have a color match, and have the sales person help you find the right foundation for you. Try Clinique, Estee Lauder, Too Faced at Sephora and ULTA and Kat Von D at Sephora only. The latter has incredible coverage, and believe me, it's not going anywhere. It is very natural, and a teeny bit goes a long way. Here again, the staff at Sephora can do a color match and you can test. That is key. Don't buy a drugstore brand, only to turn around and return it because you couldn't test it. Stay away from Garnier, L'Oreal and other drugstore brands. They simply are not worth the money. I have probably tried all of them on my subjects, and have narrowed the lineup to those I mention. I hope this helps you, and good luck! Carole

I also love Benefit's POREfessional primer. The tube costs $20 and works great at filling in pores and creating a nice base for your foundation.

fairdesires
10 months, 4 weeks ago
CaroleVonAllten posted:

Myself, I never used primers. I think if you find a foundation that works well with your skin type, you don't need a primer. Of coarse i'm speaking on behalf of myself, everybody has there own little complications finding that right foundation that works well for them. I use Max Factor ..the pan stik ultra creamy foundation, I may pay a little more, but to me it's worth the extra money. It covers nicely and evenly where I don't need a primer, so I save in that aspect, plus i don't have that uncomfortable feeling of too much makeup caked on my face. Great post Carole, I may try the Clinigue and Estee Lauder sometime. Since I been staying away from the cheap foundations, I haven't ventured to far past the Max Factor brand I been using, it works well for me so i've been sticking with it. Paige

hanana
allstar
10 months, 3 weeks ago

I have recently been in search of a primer to keep my oily skin at bay throughout the day, at a low cost. The Rimmel one was smoothing, but did nothing to combat the oiliness. I am currently using one by Sonia Kashuk (sold at Target) and am enjoying it quite a bit. However, I think I'm going to keep looking until I find a holy grail.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend