Home » Community » Message Boards » Skin Central » Vaseline - why is it bad for skin?

Discussion

Sonflower
insider
1 year, 2 months ago
Vaseline - why is it bad for skin?

One of the commenters on an article I read on Tb said that Vaseline is bad for your skin. Can someone elaborate on how it is? Thank you :)

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

7 Replies

Sunflower2014
1 year, 1 month ago
Re: Vaseline - why is it bad for skin?

I have no idea, its one of my best beauty products and deeply hydrates my skin, I use it to remove eye makeup and shave my legs, its so versatile, I dont know what I'd do without it.

hiddenexpose
allstar
1 year ago

Vaseline remains one of the safest, most benign cosmetic ingredients ever created, and there’s no research to the contrary. Topical application of petrolatum can help the skin’s outer layer recover from damage, reduce inflammation, and generally help the skin heal (Sources: American Family Physician, October 2008, pages 945–951; Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation, May-June 2008, pages 247–251; and .Acta Dermato-Venereologica, November–December 2000, pages 412–415). This isn’t the only option and it’s better when mixed with a range of ingredients that current research shows are essential for all skin types to be healthy, but for occasional use on stubborn dry spots, including lips, Vaseline remains a reliable, inexpensive option that’s widely available. Best wishes :)

EricaF123
elite
1 year, 2 months ago

Here is the best answer I found for "Is Vaseline Bad for Your Skin" The only valid theory on why it's bad for your skin is that the chemicals used is similar to those found in breast cancer. However medical studies have shown that there's no evidence that leads to cancer, so I don't think you should worry. It's just a phase, like yesterday chocolate causes pimples and today it has antioxidants thats good for your skin. by the way, it's tyra banks' beauty secret =)

hiddenexpose
allstar
1 year ago
Re: Re: Re: Vaseline - why is it bad for skin?
Sonflower posted:

Thanks! I have used Aquaphor on my feet & judging by the reviews here so do a lot of other people. If anyone could add to this in regards to feet or skin other than the face I would appreciate it.

Cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum are considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found (Sources: Cosmetics & Toiletries, January 2001, page 79; and Cosmetic Dermatology, September 2000, pages 44–46). Yes, they can keep air off the skin to some extent, but that’s what a good antioxidant is supposed to do; they don’t suffocate skin! Moreover, mineral oil and petrolatum are known to be efficacious in wound healing, and are also among the most effective moisturizing ingredients available (Source: Cosmetics & Toiletries, February 1998, pages 33–40). Mineral oil is not an ingredient to avoid unless you have oily skin, in which case the somewhat greasy texture of mineral oil won't feel the best (but again, mineral oil doesn't clog pores or suffocate skin). The confusion around mineral oil is also caused by some cosmetics companies and people who use the information about non-purified mineral oil as a scare tactic. The mineral oil used in skin-care products is certified as either USP (United States Pharmacopeia) or BP (British Pharmacopeia). This is the type that’s used in skin-care products, and it’s completely safe, soothing, non-irritating, and perfectly healthy for skin.

LittleBunny
elite
1 year, 2 months ago
Re: Re: Re: Vaseline - why is it bad for skin?
Sonflower posted:

Thanks! I have used Aquaphor on my feet & judging by the reviews here so do a lot of other people. If anyone could add to this in regards to feet or skin other than the face I would appreciate it.

I have always loved vaseline...I have never heard it was bad

Sonflower
insider
1 year, 2 months ago
Re: Re: Vaseline - why is it bad for skin?
pomomakeup posted:

Well, I can't give you the scientific breakdown of why it's bad all I can say is that Vaseline is bad because it has petroleum in it which is bad for your pores. It causes clogging and excess oils on your face therefore causing breakouts, enlarged pores and oily skin.

pomomakeup
1 year, 2 months ago

Well, I can't give you the scientific breakdown of why it's bad all I can say is that Vaseline is bad because it has petroleum in it which is bad for your pores. It causes clogging and excess oils on your face therefore causing breakouts, enlarged pores and oily skin.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend