Home » Community » Message Boards » Everything Makeup » Is it always, "Get what you Pay for it?"

Discussion

morgan_ledford
insider
1 year, 4 months ago
Is it always, "Get what you Pay for it?"

I'm always envious of those girls who can afford to spend a shocking amount of money on any beauty product! I unfortunately do not live a lavish lifestyle and am always watching my funds. Do you have to pay high dollar for the "very best" products or are some "cheaper" brands just as good?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

6 Replies

CaroleVonAllten
elite
1 year, 1 month ago
Re: Is it always, "Get what you Pay for it?"

Based on my experience as a makeup artist, I have found that if you pay more for certain products it is better in the long run. But, you don't have to use the pricier products for everything. Invest in a good foundation that you can test at good department stores, Sephora and ULTA. These are called "prestige cosmetics." The foundation is the critical product for your makeup. Good ones that are color matched by the sales people can be found at the Clinique counter and Estee Lauder. Stay away from Lancome. They are too expensive and have nothing special. It's important to be able to test the products. Also, I recommend Too Faced Foundation at Sephora and ULTA and Kat Von D at Sephora only. This is a good investment because you are buying quality that will last longer than the cheap drugstore brands you can't color match and test. As to the rest of your face makeup, NYX is an incredible line. It is very inexpensive, but their eyeshadows and blush are competitive with the "prestige brands." You can get a lovely palette of eyeshadows and blushes for $15-$20. These contain everything you need. Or you can buy individual shadows for $7.99 and blushes for $7.99 each. ULTA carries NYX. If you go to the ULTA website, they always have a $3.50 coupon good for use on non-prestige cosmetics. A good line of lipsticks is the Kate Moss collection by Rimmel London. These are very reasonably priced and are as efficient as the very expensive lipsticks. Same with lip glosses. You don't need to buy an expensive gloss. I hope all of this helps you, and good luck! Carole

sondra_knight_casario
insider
2 months ago

Not necessarily, IMO. I've paid $20 for a crappy eyelash curler and went back to my drugstore one, for example. The drugstore beauty department just keeps getting better and better with quality. Some of my favorites come from Revlon, L'Oreal and Cover Girl. I keep hearing great things about Jordana products, which usually cost a couple of bucks, so I want to try those out. Some of the drugstore brands are actually made by the higher end companies, I.e. LancĂ´me and L'Oreal. I do like to spend more on good, quality skin care first, though. I think that's worth it to keep my skin pretty darn baby-faced for almost 37.

Alana_Danes
insider
1 year, 1 month ago

I agree with Carole that the NYX line is really tough to beat when it comes to quality vs. price. I really have not found anything from them yet that I disliked and favor some of their stuff over the high end brands. Perticuly the Jumbo eyeliner, lip glosses and matte bronzer. Probably my favorite brand for lower priced cosmetics in general. I still like my CoverGirl for their concealer, outlast Fusion mascara and Lipperfection lipsticks I also agree to go with a good foundation, but do favor MAC. I usually get mine from Macy's and have found the girls who work there really knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. Hope this helps

morgan_ledford
insider
1 year, 1 month ago
Re: Re: Is it always, "Get what you Pay for it?"
CaroleVonAllten posted:

Based on my experience as a makeup artist, I have found that if you pay more for certain products it is better in the long run. But, you don't have to use the pricier products for everything. Invest in a good foundation that you can test at good department stores, Sephora and ULTA. These are called "prestige cosmetics." The foundation is the critical product for your makeup. Good ones that are color matched by the sales people can be found at the Clinique counter and Estee Lauder. Stay away from Lancome. They are too expensive and have nothing special. It's important to be able to test the products. Also, I recommend Too Faced Foundation at Sephora and ULTA and Kat Von D at Sephora only. This is a good investment because you are buying quality that will last longer than the cheap drugstore brands you can't color match and test. As to the rest of your face makeup, NYX is an incredible line. It is very inexpensive, but their eyeshadows and blush are competitive with the "prestige brands." You can get a lovely palette of eyeshadows and blushes for $15-$20. These contain everything you need. Or you can buy individual shadows for $7.99 and blushes for $7.99 each. ULTA carries NYX. If you go to the ULTA website, they always have a $3.50 coupon good for use on non-prestige cosmetics. A good line of lipsticks is the Kate Moss collection by Rimmel London. These are very reasonably priced and are as efficient as the very expensive lipsticks. Same with lip glosses. You don't need to buy an expensive gloss. I hope all of this helps you, and good luck! Carole

Thank You!!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend