Home » Community » Message Boards » Skin Central » Body Lotion Recommendations. I'm confused. What works best for you?

Discussion

PrincessBear3
insider
1 year, 4 months ago
Body Lotion Recommendations. I'm confused. What works best for you?

So, I have browsed through this site and have been reading reviews on different brands/types of body lotions, and I know everyone is different and what works for others, might not work for some.

I'm only 25 years old, but I'd like to start using a body lotion to keep my skin looking healthy, hydrated, supple, and young. I'm not sure if I should start using a firming body lotion or an age defying one. I'm currently trying out Gold Bond Ultimate restoring body cream with CoQ10....and so far I am not a fan of it. My skin feels soft after using it, but I also get tiny bumps on my legs and hand from it (they do go away) and I feel like this cream sits on my skin and doesn't sink in.

I am looking for any advice/tips/recommendations :) Thank you!!

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

11 Replies

ladyboarder9669
elite
1 year, 4 months ago
Re: Body Lotion Recommendations. I'm confused. What works best for you?

I think any lotion is good just as long as y9u're using it regularly, especially after every shower to help lock in moisture.

velardis
insider
1 year, 4 months ago

I love the Bliss body care product line. I have dry skin and also like the original Eucerin body lotion. Neutrogena makes an excellent body butter. For the long term,I'm also a huge fan Sunscience loose powder line, as it has a high concentration of Zinc Oxide which is the best sunblock. Using sunblock daily on you face will be the best way prevent premature aging.

CaroleVonAllten
elite
1 year, 4 months ago
Re: Re: Body Lotion Recommendations. I'm confused. What works best for you?
velardis posted:

I love the Bliss body care product line. I have dry skin and also like the original Eucerin body lotion. Neutrogena makes an excellent body butter. For the long term,I'm also a huge fan Sunscience loose powder line, as it has a high concentration of Zinc Oxide which is the best sunblock. Using sunblock daily on you face will be the best way prevent premature aging.

I have found that body butters and body creams are much more efficient than lotions. Lotions tend to be thin; not rich and creamy in emollients like body butters and creams. I prefer Bath and Body Works body butters or Crabtree and Evelyn. Twice a day I moisturize my entire body with one of these products mixed with a vitamin E oil. (Available at Walgreens) Or I mix in oil from Aveda or Neutrogena. A little goes a long way, so use the oil sparingly. Rub the 2 products in your hands to warm the oil and to blend and then apply all over your body. You will probably have to make a mixture for your arms and upper torso and another for your legs. I have been doing this for years, and my skin is incredibly soft and even. One last tip: after you take a shower or bath, apply Neutrogena Sesame Seed Oil all over and don't remove. This is a good way to start the moisturizing process. I hope this helps, and good luck! Carole VonAllten

PrincessBear3
insider
1 year, 4 months ago
Re: Re: Re: Body Lotion Recommendations. I'm confused. What works best for you?
CaroleVonAllten posted:

I have found that body butters and body creams are much more efficient than lotions. Lotions tend to be thin; not rich and creamy in emollients like body butters and creams. I prefer Bath and Body Works body butters or Crabtree and Evelyn. Twice a day I moisturize my entire body with one of these products mixed with a vitamin E oil. (Available at Walgreens) Or I mix in oil from Aveda or Neutrogena. A little goes a long way, so use the oil sparingly. Rub the 2 products in your hands to warm the oil and to blend and then apply all over your body. You will probably have to make a mixture for your arms and upper torso and another for your legs. I have been doing this for years, and my skin is incredibly soft and even. One last tip: after you take a shower or bath, apply Neutrogena Sesame Seed Oil all over and don't remove. This is a good way to start the moisturizing process. I hope this helps, and good luck! Carole VonAllten

Thank you so much for the advice! I am gonna HAVE to give this a try! :)

LynneKTX
insider
1 year, 4 months ago

Hi PrinceBear3, I agree using a lotion daily is important. I love the Gold Bond lotion for any kind of distressed skin, as long as there are not injuries. As a mom and wife, I have found it as a good thing for heat rash and chapping. However, that does not mean that you are not having a reaction from This lotion. If it were just your legs, I'd ask about shaving, just before; however, since they show up on your hands, that does seem to apply here. Return that lotion and try a new one. I would get a couple of sample or travel size bottles of lotions for deep healing or deep conditioning and try brands that way. I know that is not helpful now, that this has happened, but hopefully trying another brand will work. You said you had tiny bumps, are you using it just after you shave? Lotions should be avoid for an hour, if possible, until your skin cools and the pores tighten again. I also suffered with bumps on my legs for yrs., not from a medical issue, but because I was suffering from dry skin, and wearing ,mostly, jeans just kept ingrown hairs and those tiny hard bumps present all the time. I have learned that using a soft loofah or a not too harsh scrub while bathing really helped. Do Not scrub your skin off, just lightly scrub and if its ingrown hairs or clogged pores, you'll see a difference in a couple of weeks. Hope your test of some lotions helps. Try finding one without scents and too many chemicals, as you may have sensitive skin. Best wishes.

PrincessBear3
insider
1 year, 4 months ago
LynneKTX posted:

Hi PrinceBear3, I agree using a lotion daily is important. I love the Gold Bond lotion for any kind of distressed skin, as long as there are not injuries. As a mom and wife, I have found it as a good thing for heat rash and chapping. However, that does not mean that you are not having a reaction from This lotion. If it were just your legs, I'd ask about shaving, just before; however, since they show up on your hands, that does seem to apply here. Return that lotion and try a new one. I would get a couple of sample or travel size bottles of lotions for deep healing or deep conditioning and try brands that way. I know that is not helpful now, that this has happened, but hopefully trying another brand will work. You said you had tiny bumps, are you using it just after you shave? Lotions should be avoid for an hour, if possible, until your skin cools and the pores tighten again. I also suffered with bumps on my legs for yrs., not from a medical issue, but because I was suffering from dry skin, and wearing ,mostly, jeans just kept ingrown hairs and those tiny hard bumps present all the time. I have learned that using a soft loofah or a not too harsh scrub while bathing really helped. Do Not scrub your skin off, just lightly scrub and if its ingrown hairs or clogged pores, you'll see a difference in a couple of weeks. Hope your test of some lotions helps. Try finding one without scents and too many chemicals, as you may have sensitive skin. Best wishes.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply! I appreciate it very much! I've still been using the Gold Bond Restoring body cream with CoQ10 and it has gotten better over the days for me, BUT I am still going to try out other brands. Maybe its just my skin and the fact that I'm not used to a body cream as opposed to the lotions I used to use, but the Gold Bond is thick (which I like) but I feel like its just sitting on my skin and not fully soaking in...I avoid using a lot of product because I know a little will go a long way. I am going to give this St. Ives skin renewing body lotion next and see how that works out for me. My skin is sensitive yes, but its not been always dry or anything......sometimes I do slack on moisturizing my body lol, but I am 25 and want to keep my skin healthy and young looking for years and years to come....I guess I'm trying to get a jump on the aging process here lol. Thank you again! I will still grab some travel size lotions and give them a whirl!

PrincessBear3
insider
1 year, 4 months ago
velardis posted:

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I will have to read up and try Bliss.

PrincessBear3
insider
1 year, 4 months ago
ladyboarder9669 posted:

I think any lotion is good just as long as y9u're using it regularly, especially after every shower to help lock in moisture.

Thank you!

jenn8779
allstar
1 year, 3 months ago

I have several favorites and I agree with Carole that butters and creams are more effective for moisture. I really love the Body Shop's body butters but they're kind of pricey. Boots makes great body butters too, very much like TBS's, and for about half the price and you can get them at Target. Vaseline's Cocoa Butter cream in the tube is also great and inexpensive. If you find that you're getting little bumps on your body that don't itch (meaning an irritation) and especially if you get them on the backs of your upper arms, you may want to try the St Ives Naturally Smooth lotion. It has alpha hydroxy acids in it so it exfoliates as well as moisturizing. The St Ives Oatmeal and Shea Butter lotion is also good and very inexpensive. It moisturizes really well and sinks in quickly so there's less waiting to get dressed.

ZaraBear
1 year ago

As spring is coming on, I switch to Vaseline Healthy Body Glow - it's nice to have a bit of a sheen/tanned look, but I don't want to fry in the sun to achieve that sun-kissed glow. It's really subtle but if you use it every day you'll have more of a tanned look, and it's a great moisturizer in general.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend