Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » what makeup is right for me? :)

Discussion

nikki46
1 year, 5 months ago
what makeup is right for me? :)

I am 46 years old and never worn makeup before. I have normal/combination skin. What are some quality, inexpensive makeup brands and makeup essentials? Thanks :)

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

5 Replies

CaroleVonAllten
elite
1 year, 4 months ago
Re: what makeup is right for me? :)

Nikki, I think you need basics: Facial Wash (Aveeno at Walgreens) Toner (L'Oreal at Walgreens) Face Moisturizer (Aveeno at Walgreens) If you have under eye circles, then a concealer. (Maybelline, Revlon, L'Oreal, Physician's Formula (all at Walgreens Foundation: Almay, L'Oreal, Cover Girl (at Walgreens) Blush: Same brands as above Neutral eyeshadow palette of 2 colors. One light for lids, and one darker for crease of eye and to brush on as eyeliner. (Same brands as above) Mascara: Maybelline (at Walgreens) Eye makeup remover L'Oreal at Walgreens. This is the best I've ever used. Moisturizes and does not sting the eyes. Lipstick or gloss: Revlon, L'Oreal (at Walgreens) Cotton rounds or cotton balls for the eye makeup remover. (Dollar Tree) What I love about Walgreens is that they will let you return items you don't like. Also, the beauty advisor in the cosmetics department is always well informed since they stock the shelves, know what's there, and are cosmetic buyers themselves. When you go, make a list of what is recommended, then look the products up on Total Beauty to read the reviews. Plus, Walgreens frequently has buy 1 get 1 free, or buy 1 get one 1/2 off. And they now have the new incentive card wherein you acquire points for certain products to receive $5.00 discount. In terms of skin care, Olay does nothing for me, and is a waste of money. Aveeno carries a great skin care line and hair care. Good luck. It's actually very easy.

Sonflower
insider
1 year, 5 months ago

Nikki, Finding the right makeup which is perfect for you takes time. I would like to suggest you start with Boots No. 7 (which can be found at Super Target) or Almay which is at all drug stores and big box stores like Wal-Mart. I grew up on all the drug store brands and I know them all. My skin is very oily and at 46 I have adult acne which drives me crazy. I have narrowed it down to those 2 brands for the most part but am open to new makeup if it sounds right for me. Since you are new to makeup I would suggest getting a high speed internet connection (wifi) and watching makeup videos that are provided on this website under Beauty Advice > Video. Watch several all in a row because there is not 1 person who has all the great and perfect answers. Everyone is different and when they produce a video they bring their own special area of knowledge to the table. The next person will add to what the last one said. All the different perspectives add nuggets of wisdom and make it worth watching each video. Be sure and take notes. As a general rule, start with concealer, then foundation (apply with a makeup sponge), then eye makeup (I do liner first, then eye shadow, then mascara), then finally blush. Again everyone is different and you will need to customize to your own needs as you learn more. That alone is a minimum of 4-6 videos right there. If you have any questions just keep posting them here. The more specific the question, the better we can help you :)

jenn8779
allstar
1 year, 4 months ago

Nikki46- For some "essentials", it does depend on which feature is your favorite, or which you want to highlight most. However, a great start would be: tinted moisturizer or BB cream, blush, mascara and a lip product. This would give you a "5 minute" face routine that you could then build upon for night time or special occasions by adding eye shadow, eye liner, etc

CaroleVonAllten
elite
1 year, 4 months ago

I forgot to add it is helpful to have makeup brushes, and the best, inexpensive ones are made by Ecotools, available at Target. And if your eyebrows are fading like mine, I suggest eyebrow powder applied with an angled brush. Does not look harsh and looks more real. I use Too Faced, but it is a little more on the pricey side, but it lasts forever. It comes with a template, 2 shades you can custom blend, wax to keep brows in place, an eyebrow pencil and an angled brush. So, it really is worth the money because you get everything you need. Hope this helps. Carole Von Allten.

NotJustGingerly
allstar
1 year, 1 month ago

I am 43 and starting to wear makeup every day, as I am trying to present a polished professional image. I feel like a little girl all over again when my mom bought me my first mascara, eyeshadow, and blush. ;) Check out reviews here, the cosmeticcop.com and makeupalley.com sites have good reviews too. Try the drugstore brands, get coupons from the sunday papers, find sales, keep it inexpensive! That way if you get something you don't like it won't break the bank if you toss it. I didn't know about Walgreens & their return policy either... hmmm..... Try to add one new item to your routine a week, don't jump right in to a full face makeup. I would start off with finding a foundation first, whether it's tinted moisturizer, liquid or cream foundation, or pressed powder. Make sure it's the right color - it should look like your skin, but better. Check it in full sun compared to your neck, and check it again under fluorescent light. What are you trying to accomplish? You would be surprised what a difference some foundation, neutral eyeshadow, mascara, and neutral lip color can do. Oh yeah - stay away from glittery eyeshadow. Unless you can get it just right, it will emphasize fine lines.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend