Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Primer, powder, or setting spray?

Discussion

robinrobin623
1 year, 6 months ago
Primer, powder, or setting spray?

I'm going to the Bahamas for a rave (exciting I know!) and I am looking for something that will make my makeup last, possibly all day and night (with minor touch ups if needed) through the dancing and the heat. I am in the search of a new foundation (leaning towards MUFE HD or MAC Matchmaster) but am more concerned with setting my foundation.

I have combination skin, oily in the T-zone after a few hours after washing and normal everywhere else. I have never used a face primer. Is this just for creating a smooth/perfecting base or does it make foundation last longer? Also, do you find that oil absorbing or matte primers extend your foundation wear? I am thinking about purchasing a translucent powder for everyday (work) makeup days? Does this extend foundation life? Any pressed powder suggestions? I am VERY interesting in try Urban Decay All Nighter setting spray? What are your thoughts? Does it make foundation stay longer? Which products or combination (not interested in using all three!) of products do you think will help make my foundation last longer? This is a lot. I know. I appreciate your responses greatly. THANK YOU!

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

3 Replies

Lani702
allstar
1 year, 5 months ago
Re: Primer, powder, or setting spray?

Hi there wow lucky you. I've never been to the Bahama's but from my understanding the weather there is similar to Hawaii and Playa del car, Mexico. My father's from Puerto Rico and confirmed this. So since your skin will be oilier probably in the humid weather I would say using a really good BB cream. The real kind like skin 79 which as one for every skin type and it replaces sunscreen, primers, moisturizers and foundation. to keep you eye makeup and liner in place use Kryolan, it's like having makeup tattooed on or you natural have that look, and then for extra backup use the Urban Decay all nighter as a set in. The BB cream from skin 79 is pretty much water proof and better for you skin than foundation, but for a good antioxidant foundation Glo minerals is also great and pretty much sweat proof as well. Here's a breakdown of what I use and works for me in humid weather when I have a hardcore clubbing salsa night not stop dancing. Base foundation: It bye bye concealer, BB cream skin 79 or glo minerals foundation -------If my skin is nice with no blemishes or bumps I use It bye by, especially for nonstop partying to shield dark circles from lack of sleep & a lot of alcohol. Just pick one of these for a good shield. Check Amazon & Ebay, but go on the actual site if you are iffy about the prior 2 I mentioned. Makeup sealant- Shelaq, if u can find it (discontinued) or Kryolan makeup sealant, which is second best and cheap to find on Amazon, which I I bought Kryolan from and I vow it's been great. Make up setting spray - Urban Decay, -- sprayed about 8-10 times to set my makeup in. I spray it in through out an hour and right before I leave if I'm ready early. Not sure if it really works alone, but with a combination of my suggestions it does for me. Also I think it is more fore your skin type than mine as it can be just a tad bid drying which is why I spray so many times for the moisture. 2nd choice setting spray - Honestly I thinking any Rose or tonic spritz spray, such as Eminence stone crop misty, achromatherapy gem-rise & shine -spritzer from www.colorscience.com spray or heritage 100% rose water spary, if you can still find it is a good refreshing spritz for you skin as well. If you carry a small purse or have friends who do, then for your particular skin type you should carry blotting tissues. You can put them in small containers if you don't have access to travel types... Growing up in Hawaii and being of part asian descent we found shirokia blotting papers to be fantastic, and now they are all over Hawaii in drugstores. Blotting sheets are great and I hate purses personally, but thes are so compat that I'm able to carry them within my clothing outfits and well...I'm sure most women are who are creative know. Hope this helps. For about several years I've helped several of my friends and some w/difficult skin issues and conditions, I say both because they do very much so differ, have been able to help them in issues as yours been able to provide helpful suggestions. I do hope this helps, even though I may be a tad bit late on replying as where I have recently been afforded much time on my hands doing research for issues I am thinking of writing about.

jenn8779
allstar
1 year, 6 months ago

Actually, Neutrogena just came out with oil controlling primer, foundation and pressed powder. A friend with uber oily skin has just bought all 3 products and she LOVES them , especially the foundation. She stated that their pressed powder very much reminds her of MAC's Blot powder, at about 1/2 the price. She gets the best results from using all 3 pieces in combination but also said she used just the primer and the powder on the weekend and got great results. I have used the UD all nighter setting spray and wasn't impressed with the results, particularly for the price.

brenna_snow
1 year, 5 months ago

I use a pressed powder over my foundation, and I've found that my makeup will last through sports, sweat, and heat. I use Clinique. I have no experience whatsoever with setting spray, though. My face is very oily, and my pressed powder over foundation really helps me. Hope this was helpful!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend