Home » Community » Message Boards » Skin Central » What to do about adult 'all of a sudden acne'???

Discussion

fyrcracker2008
insider
1 year, 6 months ago
What to do about adult 'all of a sudden acne'???

About a year ago at 37 I started to break out! Never went through this as a teenager and so i think it's changing hormones. I started using some really good Perricone products to tighten and clean pores but I still get these little zits. I've tried some nice salicylic acid gels but there they are. Ideas? Help?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

10 Replies

Sharon_Yi
insider
1 year, 6 months ago
Re: What to do about adult 'all of a sudden acne'???

I'd recommend going to see your derm to get a prescription retinoid - either Tretinoin to start slow, or retin-A for the real heavy stuff. Basically, a retinoid is a vitamin A derivative that is the most effective anti-aging AND anti-acne ingredient. If not, you can check out some other tips here: http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gallery/p-adult-acne. Let me know how it goes!

jenn8779
allstar
1 year, 6 months ago

You will definitely want to find out if hormones are the underlying cause. Your regular doctor can send you for blood tests to be sure. One thought, is how you are cleaning your skin. I highly recommend one of the face brushes. You don't need to spend the $$$$ for the Clairisonic either. I have the Olay ProRx brush and it did wonders for me to get all the crud out of my skin that was sitting below the surface. It quickly helped to get rid of those pesky little pop outs.

fyrcracker2008
insider
1 year, 5 months ago
Re: Re: What to do about adult 'all of a sudden acne'???
jenn8779 posted:

You will definitely want to find out if hormones are the underlying cause. Your regular doctor can send you for blood tests to be sure. One thought, is how you are cleaning your skin. I highly recommend one of the face brushes. You don't need to spend the $$$$ for the Clairisonic either. I have the Olay ProRx brush and it did wonders for me to get all the crud out of my skin that was sitting below the surface. It quickly helped to get rid of those pesky little pop outs.

HA! I hadn't even seen this yet and I came home to my ever sweet hubby and a gist bag with a Mia and some goodies in it! I wonder, has he been doing some totalbeauty.com reading???

EricaF123
elite
1 year, 3 months ago

I went to the doctor, he gave me a rx for doxycycline and a referral to the dermotologist. When I went there the dermotologist gave me a refill on the doxy and suggested I come back for a checkup in 6-8 weeks to see how things are going. I've been completely acne free for about a month now. So it's definitely working for me. It's was well worth the doctor vist.

ladyboarder9669
elite
1 year, 6 months ago

Ugh this has been happening to me the last year! I've found proactiv really works the best for me. It tends to really over dry the skin though so i use the solution twice a day after washing and only use their face wash, toner, and oil control once a week and i've found this has cleared up my skin amazingly well!

fyrcracker2008
insider
1 year, 5 months ago
ladyboarder9669 posted:

Ugh this has been happening to me the last year! I've found proactiv really works the best for me. It tends to really over dry the skin though so i use the solution twice a day after washing and only use their face wash, toner, and oil control once a week and i've found this has cleared up my skin amazingly well!

I tried both regular and sensitive skin Pro-Active and the only product of theirs that has ever worked for me is their sulfur mask. However, I like Mario Badescu's Drying Cream better. That is something I JUST found and wanted to share! Thank you so MUCH!!

fyrcracker2008
insider
1 year, 5 months ago
Sharon_Yi posted:

I'd recommend going to see your derm to get a prescription retinoid - either Tretinoin to start slow, or retin-A for the real heavy stuff. Basically, a retinoid is a vitamin A derivative that is the most effective anti-aging AND anti-acne ingredient. If not, you can check out some other tips here: http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gallery/p-adult-acne. Let me know how it goes!

I've done a lot of research on Vitamin A and what it can do to the skin long term and it scares me. Have you noticed any of the side effects when using it? Starting slow would of course be best, I feel like I'm on a better road now and haven't exhausted all roads. I found that using therapeutic grade Melaleuca essential oil on a Q-tip and dab it RIGHT on the blemish area and let it sit before cleansing at night is doing really great things for my skin. If it is irritated I can do equal parts Melaleuca and Lavender and it's fantastic.

darkangel81
allstar
1 year, 5 months ago

I broke out too when I reached adulthood, lol. I tried ProActiv but it was too harsh for my skin and I couldn't build up a tolerance. I started using AcneFree products, which has pretty much cleared up all acne but kept it at bay. Plus, you can find it at any drugstore so it's readily available. The kit is also cheaper than Proactive too, but they sell individual products as well. Hope this helps.

david_gomes
1 year, 4 months ago

Have there been any changes at all in your diet? Stress levels? Environment? Perhaps hormonal? All of those things can affect your skin. I'd consider those and in the meantime just use a spot treatment or perhaps a face wash with hyaluronic acid. The thing is that generally most products with hyaluronic acid (particularly cleansers I've found) seem to be a bit drying. You could go with a hyaluronic acid product like say Skinlastin by Dermagevity- It is highly sophisticated formulas harness clinically proven ingredients and breakthrough delivery systems to reduce the appearance and accelerate the healing of common dermal imperfections, or something similar, to help clear up the problem.

EricaF123
elite
1 year, 4 months ago

I haven't found the cure yet myself but I am thinking about going to the doctor this week to be put on a low dose antibiotic. I've read about them online. Nothing topical is working, it seems to just make it spread to a different side of my face or completely dry my skin out. Not liking this at all, never had to deal with acne like this in my life so I think it's time to see the doc.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend