Home » Community » Message Boards » All About Nails » Peeling Nails

Discussion

tslady1
1 year, 6 months ago
Peeling Nails

I have such a problem with my nails peeling.  I've tried several different nail products and nothing has helped.  Does anyone else have this problem? If you had this problem and found something that worked, please let me know!

Thanks

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

8 Replies

HeathRene
elite
1 year, 2 months ago
Re: Peeling Nails

Have you tried using a glass nail file, instead of the traditional kind? My nails used to split and peel too, but since i switched to the glass nail file I haven't had any peeling. Filing in just one direction, instead of back and forth helps too.

cheerio9551
insider
4 months ago

I have had the same problem ever since I started painting my nails every other day. I would suggest Nailtiques Formula 2 nail treatment- it's like a strengthening base coat. It's expensive, about $20 for a full bottle and $10 for a small bottle, but I swear by it! It completely resolved my nail weakness. Now I have super hard nails that never peel. When the bottle gets low and gunky, I just use a nail polish thinner.

GigiSD
elite
4 months ago
Re: Re: Re: Peeling Nails
lovemyshoes posted:

Try a supplement like biotin.

Pink Armor Nail Gel (now on sale online at Walgreen's for a mere $7.99) provides the lovely look of a French manicure, but keratin in the formula prevents discoloration and strengthens nails, stopping them from peeling, breaking, and splitting. I just discovered this jewel!

jenn8779
allstar
1 year, 6 months ago

My nails peel too. I haven't found any "magic" product though but they seem to peel less if I keep them very moisturized. No one nail/cuticle oil seems any better than the others although I really do like Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream. I have had some pretty good results with putting regular olive oil in a small shallow bowl, microwaving it till its warm and then soaking my nails and cuticles in it. I also try to keep a clear coat of strengthener on them in the winter and that does help some.

evet
allstar
1 year, 4 months ago

I don't have an issue with my fingernails except they get damaged from working with a lot of products. My toenails all of a sudden have been bad for the last year or so. It can mean a deficiency in your diet and long ago they used to say to have gelatin. I tend to not want that, but if it continues I may try other things. When you say peeling, what would you exactly mean /brittle too. I have been using nightime deep facial moisturizers recently on the skin surrounding it because that was affected too.

lovemyshoes
insider
7 months, 1 week ago
Re: Re: Peeling Nails
HeathRene posted:

Have you tried using a glass nail file, instead of the traditional kind? My nails used to split and peel too, but since i switched to the glass nail file I haven't had any peeling. Filing in just one direction, instead of back and forth helps too.

Try a supplement like biotin.

GigiSD
elite
7 months, 1 week ago

The ladies before me have given stellar advice. Be sure to use a good shield on them all year long; nails are weakened by any exposure to water (I used to have problems with my nails peeling and tearing after taking a shower!). You are already moisturizing. The suggestion about the glass nail file in one direction is excellent. Take a very potent B Vitamin complex which contains Biotin. Your skin, hair, and nails will benefit. My nails used to peel. Now that I take vitamins (especially B) and treat them well, I have to actually keep trimming them to be able to type!

GigiSD
elite
7 months, 1 week ago
Re: Re: Peeling Nails
HeathRene posted:

HeathRene, great suggestion!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend