Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Hair color advise

Discussion

BeckyAM
1 year, 8 months ago
Hair color advise

Hello,  Im 55 years old & have dark brown hair thats going gray. I want to find a shade that will hide the gray roots longer between colorings. When i go lighter i get orangy highlights.My roots in my hair line start showing with in 3 shampoos after coloring.Iv used color protecting shampoos And have tried colors just for stubborn grey. Do you have any ideas? Thank You for your time

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

2 Replies

volta
elite
1 year, 8 months ago
Re: Hair color advise

Try using a color glaze. Sally's has some in blonde, brunette, and red hair. Use these glazes in place of a conditioner a couple times a week and not only do they add shine and prolong color, but they deposit a slight amount of color (still looks natural) into your hair, so that might help with the grey hairs that are peaking out so quickly. If you do decide to go lighter, you need to use a color corrector to strip out all the color before you can dye it again. A hair stylist's motto is "tint will not lift tint", meaning if you dye your hair darker, even if you use a higher strength developer, it will not go lighter if you try to dye it lighter.

MissXu
elite
1 year, 8 months ago
Re: Hair color advise

I've never colored my hair, but my suggest would be to go with a lighter color. Or I feel there should be great root touch ups out there as well. Again, I can't suggest anything cause I've never dyed my hair before, but hope you find a solution or another member suggests something for you! Best of luck!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend