Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Acne scars and sun spots - Need at-home Peel Product advice!!

Discussion

Pasomomma
insider
1 year, 8 months ago
Acne scars and sun spots - Need at-home Peel Product advice!!

Hi ladies, I really need some advice.  I'm 40yrs old and didn't start to take care of my skin until about a year ago.  Unfortunately, I've loved the sun my whole life and have pretty bad hyperpigmentation and sun spots.  I also suffer from hormone related acne and cystic acne pretty bad, and have many acne scars.  I'd like to find an at-home chemical peel that is tried and true.  I did a chemical peel with an esthetician and she recommend several more, but it's summer and I think I'll save those heavy duty in office peels for winter.  Until then, is there something I can use at home? 

I've read ALL the reviews on this site about peel products, and to be honest it's quite daunting.  That's why I'm turning to the boards.  I'm looking to add to my regime, weekly? nightly? whatever,, I just need to do something.  It's to a point where I don't like looking in the mirror anymore and my self esteem has plumeted.  I was told by the esthetician that you have to be very careful when doing peels, as they have been know to turn peoples face black due to burns. 

Please please please help!!   Here's my routine, if it matters;  Wash w/ Basis cleanest clean or Yes to blueberry, toner in pm w/ neutrogena pore refining toner w/ salicyic acid, toner in am w/ earth science clarifying herbal astringent.  Exfolliat three times a week (my face is very congested and slow to renew).  Clay mask once a week.  Retinal (ROC) nightly treatment, and Dermalogica SPF 35 moisturizer during day.

Thank you for your help!

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

5 Replies

Pasomomma
insider
1 year, 8 months ago
Re: Re: Acne scars and sun spots - Need at-home Peel Product advice!!
volta posted:

Get lots of vitamin C, both in your diet and your skincare! But as the user above suggested, you won't see results overnight. Even with heavy duty products (such as products with hydroquinone), you won't expect to see results for at LEAST 4-8 weeks (depending on age), because it takes a bit of time for our skin to replenish itself. The products we use can treat our skin, but on a realistic note, you may not see a big improvement until after two months of religious skin care. If you want an at-home peel that's gentle enough to use in the summer (as long as you still wear your sunscreen), try a Brazilian Peel (you can find them at Sephora). Or one of my favorite products is Peter Thomas Roth Laser-Free Retexturizer. It's a scrub/mask that has microscrub & jojoba as that physical exfoliator, then you leave it on for a few minutes while you get both a mini peel by glycolic acid and fruit enzymes digest the skin. It also has an ingredient that repairs skin.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I will definitely give that a try. And yes, I agree with you and sometimes need the reminder, that products (no matter how wonderful) take time to 'work'. One rule of thumb I like to have is to go through two bottles/tubes/containers (whatever it is) before you decide if it has worked. Thanks again, and I am ordering tonight! :-)

Nicole1021
allstar
1 year, 8 months ago
Re: Acne scars and sun spots - Need at-home Peel Product advice!!

I'm the same age as you are and HAVE taken care of my skin my entire life. But lo and behold I also have the problem with dark spots and freckles. Still trying to find something that works. As far as covering it up, I purchased the Exuviance foundation yesterday and have to say it works very well plus feels great on the skin. I bought the lighter coverage one but there is a heavy coverage one also. They sell it at Ulta. I'll let you know if I find something to eliminate the spots.

volta
elite
1 year, 8 months ago

Get lots of vitamin C, both in your diet and your skincare! But as the user above suggested, you won't see results overnight. Even with heavy duty products (such as products with hydroquinone), you won't expect to see results for at LEAST 4-8 weeks (depending on age), because it takes a bit of time for our skin to replenish itself. The products we use can treat our skin, but on a realistic note, you may not see a big improvement until after two months of religious skin care. If you want an at-home peel that's gentle enough to use in the summer (as long as you still wear your sunscreen), try a Brazilian Peel (you can find them at Sephora). Or one of my favorite products is Peter Thomas Roth Laser-Free Retexturizer. It's a scrub/mask that has microscrub & jojoba as that physical exfoliator, then you leave it on for a few minutes while you get both a mini peel by glycolic acid and fruit enzymes digest the skin. It also has an ingredient that repairs skin.

Pasomomma
insider
1 year, 8 months ago
Re: Re: Acne scars and sun spots - Need at-home Peel Product advice!!
Nicole1021 posted:

I'm the same age as you are and HAVE taken care of my skin my entire life. But lo and behold I also have the problem with dark spots and freckles. Still trying to find something that works. As far as covering it up, I purchased the Exuviance foundation yesterday and have to say it works very well plus feels great on the skin. I bought the lighter coverage one but there is a heavy coverage one also. They sell it at Ulta. I'll let you know if I find something to eliminate the spots.

Thanks for letting me know you're in the same/similar boat Nicole. I'll give the Exuviance a try. That's why we're here (at this site) right? Giving stuff a try and learning from each other! Thanks again! :-)

advicesisterA
BLOGGER
1 year, 8 months ago

This may not be what you really want to hear, but honestly, there are no quick fixes for dark spots or scars of any type. While there are at home products that can help --a bit--only a laser can really get rid of serious issues. that being said, the good news is that it is never too late to start taking care of your skin and avoid continued damage. And there are tons of products that will help with that. If you can't or won't go for an actual laser treatment, my suggestion is to use products (CLINIQUE, SHISEIDO AND SK-ii) have some good ones that will, supposedly, over time, reduce or eliminate dark spots and minimize the look of scars. You have to use these products regularly and for a few months to see results, but it's a lot cheaper than lasers and since everyon'e skin is different, these may work for you. I do not believe in at-home peels. They are either too gentle to do much good, or too harsh to be really safe. They are ok for normal skin that needs a bit of brightening, however. There are just some things best left in the hands of the pros. if your budget is really tight, do what you are dong at home. and research the very best, well recommended estheticians in your area. And this might sound harsh, but then you have to consider your options, and make a choice. If your self esteem is tied up in your complexion and you can't cure the issues or mask them well enough to satisfy you, something else is less important and will have to be sacrificed. Maybe that means losing a a latte or a glass of after-work wine, or Zumba classes, or lunch out. maybe it's taking a few less trips in your car to save gas money, walking more often. if that's n0t enough to get the help you need from a pro (so you get better and safer results) you wouldn't be the first to sell a few things on ebay or other sites. Whatever you have to do to make it work, in the long run you will feel better. Good luck!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend