Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask a Beauty Blogger » How do you get more readers on your blogs?

Discussion

MissXu
elite
1 year, 9 months ago
How do you get more readers on your blogs?

Besides enticing new readers with sweepstakes and free stuff, what are other methods of reaching a vast number of blog readers? Do you do collaborations with other readers to promote your blogs together? 

I recently started a new blog: xulovesbeauty.blogspot.com; but I'm not quite sure how to attract new readers. I've been trying to send it to a few close friends, but I'm not even sure if they're reading it. I also try to post my blog posts to my tumblr and twitter in hopes that my followers might click the link. But that just doesn't seem to be working all that great. I'm not looking for overnight viral status, but I'm trying to promote my blog to a healthy size. 

What do you guys say? Any tips for a newbie blogger? 

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

9 Replies

AThingofBeauty
insider
1 year, 9 months ago
Re: How do you get more readers on your blogs?

I've found that the two most effective way to gain readers are through blog hops and commenting. Once a week I pick a blog, and then go through all of their followers' blogs and leave a comment on each one. I've found that most will come back to your site to leave a comment and they might even like your blog so much to follow it! Blog hops are fantastic. The two that I recommend are Beauty Bloggers Unite blog hop and the BlogLoveTherapy blog hop. Of course, there are a lot more beauty blog hops out there but I've found that those two are some of the biggest. The most important thing to remember is DON"T SPAM! Nothing turns me off a blogger more than when they only leave a comment saying "Hi, love your blog, want to follow each other?". If you're a new follower, it's okay to let them know, but make your comment worthwhile! Hope this helped xoxo

advicesisterA
BLOGGER
1 year, 9 months ago
how do you get to carnegie hall?

I am tempted to recall that old story about a young musician who asked a maestro "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?" "Practice!" the maestro, said. Whether the musician wanted directions, or truly wanted to know what he had to do to make it big in the music business, the point is that if you want to get readers, put out good stuff, and a lot of it. Work hard, I suppose promoting yourself with your blog name as you have here is also a good way to get some people to read your blog too, but it could be considered a bit "spammy" so watch where you post that url! You can also link your blogger blog to twitter and facebook, and then your social network will produce results IF what you have to say is unique and in your own voice. resist the urge to post photos and press releases --real writers have something to say and say it in a special way that appeals to their audience. If you add contests, don't expect that everyone is going to stick around and become a loyal readers. Don't take it personally as a lot of people just like "stuff" and trawl the net for it. Eventually you will find your voice, and your audience.

yestfl
elite
1 year, 9 months ago

It all depends on the content. I blog about random things like " My top 10 movies on Netflix" and surprisingly, it's something that people Google a lot. I also do interesting reviews of things that are not super popular, like an epilator, and because there aren't tons of reviews on that, my sites gets a lot of hits because of that. I don't do blog hops, but that sounds like a great idea to try! You can also do a small giveaway and promote it here, and that usually builds up your readership. Good luck!

yestfl
elite
1 year, 9 months ago

Another thing I forgot to mention: When you first start, just to get your blog exposed, try signing up to host a free giveaway on your blog. Pick carefully, and make sure the free link given is GFC follower, Bloglovin or whatever platform of following you choose. When people enter the giveaway, they will follow your blog, and will get updates when you write something new, therefore increasing your readership! Again good luck, I'll follow your blog!

15MinuteBeauty
BLOGGER
1 year, 8 months ago

The best thing really is to concentrate on your content and your voice. I found that in the first 6 months or so of blogging I really "found" who I wanted to be as a blogger. Don't be afraid to push yourself, try new things, and try to improve things like your writing, your photography, etc. Commenting on other blogs, joining blogger groups (such as Beauty Blogazons), etc are very helpful. Do those things and the readers will come!

ReflxnsOfGrace
insider
1 year, 6 months ago

Great question! I started blogging about a year ago, just to share info. But I want to expand my number of readers as well as get feedback from my readers.

ReflxnsOfGrace
insider
1 year, 6 months ago
Re: Re: How do you get more readers on your blogs?
AThingofBeauty posted:

I've found that the two most effective way to gain readers are through blog hops and commenting. Once a week I pick a blog, and then go through all of their followers' blogs and leave a comment on each one. I've found that most will come back to your site to leave a comment and they might even like your blog so much to follow it! Blog hops are fantastic. The two that I recommend are Beauty Bloggers Unite blog hop and the BlogLoveTherapy blog hop. Of course, there are a lot more beauty blog hops out there but I've found that those two are some of the biggest. The most important thing to remember is DON"T SPAM! Nothing turns me off a blogger more than when they only leave a comment saying "Hi, love your blog, want to follow each other?". If you're a new follower, it's okay to let them know, but make your comment worthwhile! Hope this helped xoxo

Good tips. It's like cross-networking.

yestfl
elite
1 year, 9 months ago

It all depends on the content. I blog about random things like " My top 10 movies on Netflix" and surprisingly, it's something that people Google a lot. I also do interesting reviews of things that are not super popular, like an epilator, and because there aren't tons of reviews on that, my sites gets a lot of hits because of that. I don't do blog hops, but that sounds like a great idea to try! You can also do a small giveaway and promote it here, and that usually builds up your readership. Good luck!

ladyboarder9669
elite
1 year, 9 months ago

Giveaways! Host them and get in on free blogger events!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend