Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Sulfate free shampoo

Discussion

bearem
insider
1 year, 9 months ago
Sulfate free shampoo

I just found out I'm allergic to sodium and aluminium lauryl sulfates, and my scalp opened up in bug sores. My hairdressed recomended me a calming shampoo that, although revived my scalp and it's now healthy, it was pretty expensive
I see how it was worth it until the sores healed but I'd like to find a sulfate free shampoo both more affordable and easily buy-able (grocery-store?). Any recomendations for somewhat oily and very fine hair?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

6 Replies

LittleBunny
elite
1 year, 9 months ago
Re: Sulfate free shampoo

I use Giovanni brand of shampoo, and you can find it at Ulta, Target and RiteAid. It's usually about 6 dollars and it is the best sulfate free line that I have found.

advicesisterA
BLOGGER
1 year, 9 months ago

try Aveeno--they have a bunch of sulfate-free shampoos that work amazingly well, and cost less than a big sandwich!

advicesisterA
BLOGGER
1 year, 8 months ago

Aveeno makes the most affordable and effective of the sulfate-free options. They are also great for affordable, gentle, natural skin and bodycare. if you are on a budget, or even if you're not, check them out at your favorite drugstore or mass market retailer. The range, and the quality, will surprise you!

alictasia
elite
1 year, 9 months ago

I haven't checked the grocery aisles for shampoo lately, but MANY of the shampoos are sulfate free now since experts are recommending to go without sulfates. I don't think you will have any problem finding one.

LipglossandSpandex
BLOGGER
1 year, 9 months ago

I would try a Whole Foods or a New Seasons, or even the health product section of your Fred Meyer or local grocery store. You wouldn't have to spend as much time reading product labels there. There are probably plenty of options at the drugstore, since sulfates also cause hair color to bleed, and so many companies are making shampoos that are sulfate free (look for ones labeled "for color treated hair").

mtaylor722
insider
1 year, 9 months ago

Well, I have an argan oil treatment that has worked well so far, Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil shampoo and conditioner (both sulphate, silicone and parabens free). The way you use it is you apply the shampoo and conditioner normally for about a week, then you stop using it for 6 weeks, using your regular shampoo and conditioner. Then you use the argan oil shampoo for another week and see the difference :) I'm not sure you can get it at a local store, I bought mine online at rylees.ca

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend