Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Anyone tried products for getitng rid of or ligthening dark spots/age...

Discussion

Nicole1021
allstar
1 year, 10 months ago
Anyone tried products for getitng rid of or ligthening dark spots/age spots/sun spots on face?

HELP!! I hate this melasma (I think) on my cheeks and nothing seems to cover it for long. Any products that anyone has actually tried and found effective? Thanks!!

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

11 Replies

volta
elite
1 year, 10 months ago
Re: Anyone tried products for getitng rid of or ligthening dark spots/age spots/sun spots on face?

First off, make sure you're wearing sunscreen because no lightening products will work unless you have sunscreen. :-) Second thing, are you pregnant? Just asking because anyone who is pregnant is going to want to use botanical base lighteners, but if you aren't then no worries. Another thing is that (naturally) it takes time for products to work and even out your tone. It is HIGHLY recommended that you do three months of a chemical brightener (if you're not pregnant), then stop and use a botanical lightener for three months (as a break), then after that you can go back to the chemical lightener. Most chemical lighteners contain the ingredient Hydroquinone in it. Most botanical lighteners contain Vitamin C. My favorite chemical lightener is Murad's Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Gel. It has Hydroquinone and an ingredient called Hexapeptide-2 which not only lightens pigmentation, but also helps inhibit melanin production (melanin is what makes dark spots and an excess makes darker spots. It also has Gylcolic Acid which is a chemical exfoliant and to removes the top layers of the skin. You want to use this every other day at first, then work your way to everyday. Use anything with Hydroquinone at night time. My favorite botanical brightener is Ole Henriksen Truth Serum. It has FIVE different kinds of Vitamin C to Lighten pigmentation and even tone, Brighten and make your skin radiant and healthy looking, and Tighten by firming the skin. Another recommendation I have is finding a product that has Vitamin C in powder form (they're in little vials and a little goes a long way, but what you do is mix a little in with your moisturizer--products like Philosophy Turbo C Boost, etc--make sure it's a pure, or near pure percentage of vitamin C). I also have been LOVING Ole Henriksen's Sheer Transformation moisturizer. It doesn't break me out, it hydrates well but is still lightweight, but it has the botanicals and vitamins to even your skin tone and texture. This is a great addition to any kind of lightener you choose.

TheLacqueredLady
elite
1 year, 9 months ago
Re: Anyone tried products for getitng rid of or ligthening dark spots/age spots/sun spots on face?

My mother went to the dermatologist and he gave her a cream to use everyday that worked wonders. It was a targeted cream and she couldn't go out in the sun. If you are serious about getting rid of this, you need to see a professional.

skincaretalks
1 year, 5 months ago

My mother has been using Lifecell anti aging cream. I can see the magic in just one week. her age spots were gone, fine lines were vanished and wrinkles were reduced too. I hope you will love this product too,

Nicole1021
allstar
1 year, 10 months ago
Re: Re: Anyone tried products for getitng rid of or ligthening dark spots/age spots/sun spots on face?
volta posted:

First off, make sure you're wearing sunscreen because no lightening products will work unless you have sunscreen. :-) Second thing, are you pregnant? Just asking because anyone who is pregnant is going to want to use botanical base lighteners, but if you aren't then no worries. Another thing is that (naturally) it takes time for products to work and even out your tone. It is HIGHLY recommended that you do three months of a chemical brightener (if you're not pregnant), then stop and use a botanical lightener for three months (as a break), then after that you can go back to the chemical lightener. Most chemical lighteners contain the ingredient Hydroquinone in it. Most botanical lighteners contain Vitamin C. My favorite chemical lightener is Murad's Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Gel. It has Hydroquinone and an ingredient called Hexapeptide-2 which not only lightens pigmentation, but also helps inhibit melanin production (melanin is what makes dark spots and an excess makes darker spots. It also has Gylcolic Acid which is a chemical exfoliant and to removes the top layers of the skin. You want to use this every other day at first, then work your way to everyday. Use anything with Hydroquinone at night time. My favorite botanical brightener is Ole Henriksen Truth Serum. It has FIVE different kinds of Vitamin C to Lighten pigmentation and even tone, Brighten and make your skin radiant and healthy looking, and Tighten by firming the skin. Another recommendation I have is finding a product that has Vitamin C in powder form (they're in little vials and a little goes a long way, but what you do is mix a little in with your moisturizer--products like Philosophy Turbo C Boost, etc--make sure it's a pure, or near pure percentage of vitamin C). I also have been LOVING Ole Henriksen's Sheer Transformation moisturizer. It doesn't break me out, it hydrates well but is still lightweight, but it has the botanicals and vitamins to even your skin tone and texture. This is a great addition to any kind of lightener you choose.

Thank you so much!! No I'm not pregnant but still have the splotches on my face even years later. I'll definitely look into these products.

yestfl
elite
1 year, 10 months ago

I have the same problem and to tell you the truth nothing has worked. I ride a motorcycle and I have white spots all over my face from the sun exposure, because sometimes I forget to put sunscreen. I have tried makeup and spot removers but nothing has worked. :(

beautyalchemist
BLOGGER
1 year, 10 months ago

It can be really hard to get rid of those pesky spots . SPF is a must , but 2 products I have used that have helped the most ( and that means lightened some , but did not make them vanish) are Peter Thomas Roth Retinol Fusion PM and new Dr. Perricone MD Vitamin C Ester 15. Both brighten skin and add light moisture, so good all around.

ladyboarder9669
elite
1 year, 10 months ago

I have been using clinique repair wear focus for a few years now and it has worked amazingly!I had a huge spot on my upper lip as well as my forehead and it faded it noticeably within a month and after 3 months (and using SPF everyday) they have all but gone! I would HIGHLY recommend this product!

Nicole1021
allstar
1 year, 10 months ago
Re: Re: Anyone tried products for getitng rid of or ligthening dark spots/age spots/sun spots on face?
ladyboarder9669 posted:

I have been using clinique repair wear focus for a few years now and it has worked amazingly!I had a huge spot on my upper lip as well as my forehead and it faded it noticeably within a month and after 3 months (and using SPF everyday) they have all but gone! I would HIGHLY recommend this product!

Thanks so much everyone for the comments and suggestions. Yes, having these spots is so annoying and hard to get rid of. I hate them. And no foundation- not even the fullest coverage covers them for long. The splotchiness always comes through. I don't mind my freckles but the splotchy sun spots are so annoying.

CaroleVonAllten
elite
1 year, 10 months ago
volta posted:

The short and effective answer: lemon juice. I had some dark spots on my hands, and using lemon juice applied with a cotton makeup pad for 2 weeks, and they were gone!

MissXu
elite
1 year, 9 months ago

Hmm, I not to familiar, but recently I've been using Sheer Cover Duo Concealer to cover up my blemishes and redness. It's also meant to cover up dark spots/age spots/sun spots as well, you might find it helpful. My only concern is you should be careful and see if the ingredients in this concealer doesn't do more bad than good! Have you tried visiting a dermatologists for suggestions as well, if it's serious? Like would you be able to use laser to help lighten those spots up? Best of luck!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend