Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Question about SPF.

Discussion

aly7
elite
1 year, 10 months ago
Question about SPF.

So, maybe I''m the only one that doesn't know this, but I've got a quick question for you all. I wear a foundation with an SPF of 20, and a moisturizer under that with an SPF of 15. I know that SPF doesn't add up like 20+15=35, but in the end, what is my total SPF? I''ve heard some people say that it's the lower number of the two, and I've heard some people say to take the average of them. So, I'm just not sure. What do you think?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

5 Replies

advicesisterA
BLOGGER
1 year, 10 months ago
Re: Question about SPF.

I'd say your total SPF is the highest number you put on, which would be 20. You can't really layer for additional SPF protection, but it doesn't hurt to use two things with SPF as long as they are compatible (you'll know if they aren't, becuase your foundation or tinted moisturizer is likely to bead up or feel strange). In the end, I'd suggest you just get some moisturizer or foundation with a higher spf. There are so many good beauty balms, tinted moisturizers, foundations, and straight up moisturizers with SPF 30 and above. In addition, keep in mind that like any sun block, the products you apply in the morning aren't going to last you all day. If you really want sun protection, bring some with you to -reapply, or use a mineral powder (it also keeps the shine down) and wear a hat and sunglasses when you go out

volta
elite
1 year, 10 months ago

A HUGE thing to remember is that you have to make sure you're putting on *enough* of the product in order to get the sun protection that is labeled. You can't just put on a small amount of moisturizer and dust on some powder and BAM you have spf 20. You need to have at least a teaspoon of sunscreen for your face in order to get spf 15, OR you need to put on enough of the powder in order to get spf 20. If you only put on just a tiny bit, you're not getting much sun protection and we don't want to walk around with a false sense of security. Yes, some protection is better than no protection, but just make sure you're actually protecting yourself. :-)

LipglossandSpandex
BLOGGER
1 year, 10 months ago

For some reason, I couldn't post my reply here. I did a bit of research around the web, and found that the answer it is not a good idea to mix products. There's no way to prove the actual SPF in the mixture, except by scientific methods and equipment. It's not a simple math equation--there are different active ingredients in different sunscreens, and when combined, they can make the other less effective; by mixing two products, you're using less of each, and therefore have made that particular product's SPF claim less effective; and so on. I posted on my TotalBeauty blog about it, including sources, and encourage you to check it out.

MaryTB
COMMUNITY MANAGER
1 year, 10 months ago

When it comes to SPF, combining doesn't equal the sum = if you use a 15 and a 20, you should assume that your maximum protection is 20 SPF. Hope that helps!

VV001
allstar
1 year, 9 months ago

I've never thought about it. I'm glad I read this because I probably would have naively assumed you would just "add up" the SPF's. Looks like you can only count on the higher number being your level of protection.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend