Home » Community » Message Boards » Everything Makeup » Basic makeup starter kit?

Discussion

Basic makeup starter kit?

What are some basic makeup needs for a starter kit? Like, for example, what type of foundation or brushes do I need? ps. I'm 15 and I've never worn makeup before except for lip gloss x

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

6 Replies

HappyGoWifey
insider
1 year, 10 months ago
Basic Makeup Starter Kit

Hooray! I remember when I first starting wearing makeup & I had no idea what I was doing & I didn't have YouTube (gosh-times were rough!) But luckily Makeup and our resources have evolved so much and now it's easiert than ever to become a pro at applying your own makeup!

Before you start purchasing products you'll want to consider whether you'll be applying a full face or just certain products (i.e. just mascra and blush) a good starting place is determining how much time you have to spend doing your makeup daily-a full face obviously takes more time than just applying a few products-but since you're 15 I'd recommend starting with a simple easy routine instead of a full face daily.

Secondly you'll want to consider your budget are you willing to spend the money to purchase higher end products (like Mac)? I know when I was 15 if I had $20 I felt like millionaire-so I definitely wasn't purchasing high end boutique products-but if you're able to it's a good investment and quality products will last you quite a while. I wouldn't spend too much time dwelling on buying drugstore and less expensive products vs the pricer stuff, there are some really really good drugstore products out there that-sometimes work better than their more expensive competion.

So with those 2 factors in mind, I'll go into some of the products I think would be great for a starter makeup kit!

You'll want these key pieces- a foundation, a pressed or loose powder, a blush, mascara, a foundation brush, an eyeshadow pallet (if you're planning on doing your eyes), an eyeliner pencil and good gloss-if you have trouble with blemishes or redness or dark spots-I'd also recommended picking up a concealor.

Foundation-Obviously it's the cornerstone of your routine-pick a shade that matches the color around your jawbone and neck area for a true color match.

* Revlon's Colorstay Foundation has great coverage and comes in a ton of shades so you can find the perfect match for you & they're only around $10!

*Maybeline's FitMe Collection has really good coverage and has a complete pre-matched set to help you pick out the right products. It offers a little bit fuller coverage but it's a great price and blends fairly well.

*Any of Mac's Foundations are great choices and vary in price-but you get a great time-tested product that offers great coverage and serveal options to help you find one that's perfect for your skin.

*Bare Minerals-foundation also an option I'm going to throw out there-it is such a wonderful and sheer foundation that it really looks like your skin and it's so light weight & it's quick and easy to apply.

Don't be afraid to test out serveral different types of foundation-things that work great for some are just awful on others!

Pressed or Loose Powder-it sets your makeup and helps keep it in place, reduces shine, and gives your makeup a more polished and complete look.

*Loreal's Translucent Finishing Powder is in my opinion a fantastic loose powder it gives the skin this wonderful "heaven-like" finish-it's a bit messy so it's not great for travel or touch-ups but it's wonderul.

*Maybelline's FitMe Pressed Powder-This system really makes it easy to get all the basics for a great looking face because they've already pre-matched everything for you-this powder is so sheer, it's just delightful-helps mattify the foundation just enough and lasts all day.

*Mac's Mineralized Skin Finish also a great option it sets makeup so well and just gives your face an even airbrushed look-and it's pretty reasonably priced.

Blush-This is my favorite beauty basic-it gives your face life and makes you look so youthful and "happy"!

Loreal-has a great line of blushes in so many shades that are arranged from warm to cool shades based on your skins undertones which is great for helping you pick one that will look natural.

Sadly this is the only blush I've ever used-it's so tried and true that I've never strayed but I've heard amazing things about Nars-Orgasam which is suppose to be the bees knees!

Just rememeber with blushes not to pick something too dark-you really just want your skin to look as if it's just been pinched!

The sky's the limit with Eye Shadow Pallets-you can find them in so many options! I'd recommed the BH Cosmetics 88 Matte  pallet-it's around $18-$20 and it comes with so many colors-you can easily do a nuetral eye or play around with fun colors. Really when picking eye shadows it's about what you like.

Eye Liner Pencil- Eyeliner helps define your eyes, if you're fairer skined I wouldn't recommed a black liner but a darker brown. NYX and Maybelline both have great pencils-on this beauty basic I wouldn't splurge!

Mascara-Is in my opinion the best thing you can do for your eyes it adds so much drama and va-va woom to your eyes-it's a step you should never skip!

* Loreal's Telescopic lashes will give you so much volume and length it's insane!

* Maybelline's Volume express line is also fantastic it will make your lashes look so full and fabulous!

*Lancome-makes a great mascara but I'm afraid I can't recall the name of it at the moment-but if you go to the beauty counter at your local mall-they're always willing to demonstrate their products and help you pick out what works best for you!

As for brushes-I'd recommed getting a good foundation brush or a stipple brush, a crease brush, a flat eyeshadow brush, a large powder and a blush brush.

Elf has a fantasic brush starter kit-for around $12 but if you can afford it I'd spring for their studio brush kit which is $30 and comes with every brush you'll ever need!

Sigma-also makes great brushes! They have a kit that comes with the basic brushes for around $108 but I'd just pick out the one's you really need and save yourself the money!

And that's it! I know this is an insanely long post but I wanted to cover as much as possible! I'd also urge you to check out these chicks on YouTube-they go over how they apply their everyday faces in good detial & of course if you just do a search on "Foundation Routine" you'll find a ton of videos but these ladies happen to be some of my faves! Hope this was helpful and not too boring & if you're looking for more info on full face (highlighting, conturing, bronzer, etc) let me know and I'll share my daily rountine and products with you!

YouTubers:

Rachhloves

NitraB

Beautybyjj

Allthatglitters

(Sorry I'm at work-so I can't link you to the actual videos but they're pretty easy to find)

Remember no one is great at applying makeup when they first start-it takes time and practice! Have fun with it & don't stress out because it's not perfect! :)

MssDani
allstar
1 year, 10 months ago
Re:Basic makeup starter kit?

Hi there,

I would recommend a few natural looking products for someone your age. Foundation is probably too heavy. You have young skin so start off with a tinted moisturizer or a BB cream. If you have oily skin you can set it with a mineral powder for a matte look. Wearing blush is a great way to make your skin glow. Apply it in sunlight if possible so that you don't overdo it. If you would like some starter brushes I would go with Ecotools or Sonia Kashuk. They are sold at Walgreens, Walmart and Target. They are really great quality for the price. A brown eyeliner can help define your eyes. I would stay away from black because it can look a little harsh. Start off with a pencil because liquid takes time to master. Mascara can really open up your eyes too. Different mascaras work for different people so it's hard to recommend because what works for me may not work for you. Don't purchase waterproof unless you are going to buy a good makeup remover. You can purchase all this in the drugstore. You don't have to spend lots of money on makeup. The best advice I can give you is to research the product before you buy it. Look it up online and check out the reviews.

Hope these tips help. Remember to start a nightly cleansing routine. You have to wash your face every night if you wear makeup or you might start breaking out.

MrsFrosty226
insider
1 year, 10 months ago
Re: Basic makeup starter kit?

NYX, victoria's secret, ulta and urban decay all make great palettes that have shadow, blush, powder, gloss and usually eyeliner.  This is a good way to get lots of different colors to play with.  I would agree with starting with a tinted moisturizer in lieu of heavy foundation. If you have blemish issues you can try a light, water based foundation and concealer (covergirl is still my favorite, I've been wearing it since i was your age).  And just a basic, cheap brush set to start is good.  Once you get the hang of applying makeup, you'll have a better idea of what works for your face and what types of products you want to try.  Playing with makeup for the first time is so fun!

TheLacqueredLady
elite
1 year, 10 months ago
Re: Re: Basic makeup starter kit?
MrsFrosty226 posted:

NYX, victoria's secret, ulta and urban decay all make great palettes that have shadow, blush, powder, gloss and usually eyeliner.  This is a good way to get lots of different colors to play with.  I would agree with starting with a tinted moisturizer in lieu of heavy foundation. If you have blemish issues you can try a light, water based foundation and concealer (covergirl is still my favorite, I've been wearing it since i was your age).  And just a basic, cheap brush set to start is good.  Once you get the hang of applying makeup, you'll have a better idea of what works for your face and what types of products you want to try.  Playing with makeup for the first time is so fun!

NYX would be a great starter kit! They are totally affordable and come with pretty much all the products you need in one place.

GingerDrink
allstar
1 year, 10 months ago

You're probably going to want to start out with drugstore brands to get the feel of what you like before you go out and splurge on more expensive higher-end products. First of all, you're going to want to know what skin type you have. Most people fall under normal (not dry or oily), combination (both oily and dry, but it depends on what part of your face you're talking about), oily (shiny and maybe acne prone), or dry (tight flaky skin). This is important for your foundation. For example, you might not want to use a liquid foundation with oil in it or one that claims it's "moisturizing" if you have very oily skin. My recommendation is you use a good liquid foundation (look through the reviews. There are many good drugstore foundations and I can't really give you my own take because I don't know what type of skin you have) or a BB Cream (Garnier has a cheap one that's decent). If you don't feel comfortable wearing liquid foundation, that's completely normal (I'm also 15, and I only wear it sometimes) and you can skip that step and go straight to powder. My definite recommendation for powder foundation is L'Oreal True Match pressed powder. It's very sheer and inexpensive and comes in every skin color you've ever heard of. This normally goes on top of liquid foundation or concealer to set it and keep it from moving around and to control shine. It also evens out your skin tone. You're also going to want an eyeshadow primer. My absolute favorite is Urban Decay's Primer Potion. It's a little pricey, but it's worth it. For brushes, you're going to want a foundation brush, a powder brush, a blush brush, and some eyeshadow brushes. Most of these can be found at Target. ELF has my favorite cheap brushes. They're really high quality and work well. Plus they're only 1-3$ each, which is extremely cheap for brushes. Most of the good brushes tend to be 20-40 dollars, which is way too much money for me at least. You're also going to want a decent eye shadow palette. Again, ELF makes these, and they're inexpensive but really good. If you're looking for something REALLY good, I'd recommend ordering a Coastal Scents palette online. They're amazing. I hope this helped!

VV001
allstar
1 year, 9 months ago

When I first started wearing make-up, I started with CoverGirl's AquaSmooth compact. It was wonderful because I wasn't quite ready for foundation, but I still wanted my make-up to cover-up my acne and even out my skin tone. It was wonderful because it's easy to apply -- I believe it comes with a sponge applicator, it goes on creamy (like foundation), but then it dries to a powder finish. Some other basics: 1. Foundation (optional, especially for someone your age) 2. Maybe a tinted moisturizer (instead of foundation) 3. Powder (many powders come with their own brush or applicator, but you can always buy a big face brush) 4. Blush (if you buy it in powder form, get a blush brush as well-- but a cream blush that you can apply with your fingers might be easier) 5. Eyeliner (you don't have to get black. Try a dark brown if you want to look more natural) 6. Mascara (I'm in love with the LashBlast line. It is great quality for the price and can give really dramatic lashes. Put it on lightly if you want it to look natural) 7. A few eyeshadows (find a color that is pretty neutral as a base-- you can apply it all over your eye lip up to your eyebrow. Find a darker color to make your eyes pop -- dark brown works well as a starter and try applying it to the crease of your eye lid) Also, I think Almay sells these brilliant little eyeshadow kits. They give you three or four colors and tell you exactly where to put the colors on you lid to create a look. They can be very helpful if your just starting out. Also, ELF is a great, inexpensive brand to pick up lots of brushes from. Most of their brushes are only $3 or $4 and you can find them at Target. Good luck!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend