Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Peeling sunscreen

Discussion

Peeling sunscreen

I have very sensitive skin, but not sun-sensitive so I use to forgo sunscreen for the most part of the year except summer. Thanks to you guys I wear it everyday now, at least on my face. The thing is that around 10 am people start telling me my face is peeling. I later realized it wasn't dry skin (which would be unsurprising) but a blue/gray-ish peeling that must have come from the suncreen. I keep hearing one should put a lot more sunscreen than what i wear but I don't know what to do

Can you recomend a better product that wont do that?

Can I do anything for it to absorb better instead of forming those pesky scales?

Thank you :)

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

7 Replies

TheLacqueredLady
elite
1 year, 11 months ago
Re: Peeling sunscreen

How strange! You might be having an allergic reaction to the sunscreen you are using. Try giving a different brand a go and make sure the one you are using is specified as being for your face! It could also be your make up is sloughing off (this has happened to me before). Maybe use less foundation? 

skinpro828
1 year, 10 months ago

If you want to get away from the chemicals all together (loved the other post about the chemicals/free radicals/skin damaging ingredients in most traditional sunscreeen) then I'd recommend the Sun Diffuser by De La Terre Skincare.

I wore it golfing and playing rugby this weekend.  I wore the Sun Diffuser on my face and reapplied 3-4 times throughout the day (I was in the sun all day all weekend).  I wore sun block (physical block - zinc oxide) on my arms and shoulders.  Guess what burned?  My arms and shoulders. 

The Sun Diffuser is definatly a different way of looking at Sun Protection - boosting your skins natural abiity to defend versus just blocking the sun all together.  With all the research on the damage sun screens can cause - it is worth looking into an alternative.

Plus it is formulated in a rich serum - which moisturizes and protects even more!  It is a tad bit pricey but well worth it!  High quality ingredients and absolutly no synthetics - love it!

telzey
insider
1 year, 10 months ago
Re: Re: Peeling sunscreen
volta posted:

Many sunscreens people use are liquid form--or known as chemical sunscreens. Also, you need apply it FIRST before moisturizing because the sunscreen needs to absorb fully into the skin--at least 15 minutes prior to going outside. 

One thing some people aren't aware of is that with chemical sunscreens, they absorb the light rays in your skin. This can cause a LOT of free-radicals that can damage your skin. Therefore, you must have some kind of anti-oxidant protection to neutralize the free-radicals so it won't cause premature aging. Many (whole) foods we eat contain Vitamins A, C, & E, which help with neutralizing free-radicals, but it's important to incorporate some kind of anti-oxidants in your skin care. Use a product that has vitamins in it to give you your anti-oxidants that will protect you from what chemical sunscreens can do. Apart from that, these anti-oxidants keep your skin looking younger and healthier! 

If you think you are havig a reaction to the sunscreen, you can use a *physical* sunscreen such as a powder, but make sure it mentions both UVA *and* UVB protection broad spectrum. My favorite is Peter Thomas Roth Mineral Sunscreens that come in a powder form and you just brush it on. This is GREAT for touching up shine throughout the day. Since it's a mineral sunscreen, your skin might better handle it. Plus, since this is a physical sunscreen, it reflects the light rays, so you don't have to wait for it to become effective. Just brush it on and you have instant protection. Yes, physical sunscreens need to be applied a little more frequently, but they do th exact same job at protecting your skin, but the particles don't absorb the light--they reflect it.

Sephora has a Peter Thomas Roth Mineral SPF 30 brush-on sunscreen on sale for $12 (normal price $30). I've seen it in stores recently, although they do not have it online. I love this sunscreen because you can use it ANYWHERE on your body (even your face). I have a friend who is paler than a ghost and she went out river rafting with just this on (reapplying after getting wet of course), and she didn't get a single burn. This is an incredible product. 

Good recommendations.

alictasia
elite
1 year, 10 months ago
Re: Re: Peeling sunscreen
volta posted:

Many sunscreens people use are liquid form--or known as chemical sunscreens. Also, you need apply it FIRST before moisturizing because the sunscreen needs to absorb fully into the skin--at least 15 minutes prior to going outside. 

One thing some people aren't aware of is that with chemical sunscreens, they absorb the light rays in your skin. This can cause a LOT of free-radicals that can damage your skin. Therefore, you must have some kind of anti-oxidant protection to neutralize the free-radicals so it won't cause premature aging. Many (whole) foods we eat contain Vitamins A, C, & E, which help with neutralizing free-radicals, but it's important to incorporate some kind of anti-oxidants in your skin care. Use a product that has vitamins in it to give you your anti-oxidants that will protect you from what chemical sunscreens can do. Apart from that, these anti-oxidants keep your skin looking younger and healthier! 

If you think you are havig a reaction to the sunscreen, you can use a *physical* sunscreen such as a powder, but make sure it mentions both UVA *and* UVB protection broad spectrum. My favorite is Peter Thomas Roth Mineral Sunscreens that come in a powder form and you just brush it on. This is GREAT for touching up shine throughout the day. Since it's a mineral sunscreen, your skin might better handle it. Plus, since this is a physical sunscreen, it reflects the light rays, so you don't have to wait for it to become effective. Just brush it on and you have instant protection. Yes, physical sunscreens need to be applied a little more frequently, but they do th exact same job at protecting your skin, but the particles don't absorb the light--they reflect it.

Sephora has a Peter Thomas Roth Mineral SPF 30 brush-on sunscreen on sale for $12 (normal price $30). I've seen it in stores recently, although they do not have it online. I love this sunscreen because you can use it ANYWHERE on your body (even your face). I have a friend who is paler than a ghost and she went out river rafting with just this on (reapplying after getting wet of course), and she didn't get a single burn. This is an incredible product. 

Bare Escentuals also has a mineral sunscreen, but their price is higher than the one you mentioned at Sephora unless you can find it on their sale rack!

LipglossandSpandex
BLOGGER
1 year, 10 months ago

I really liked MAC Prep+Prime SPF 50. It has a high SPF, absorbs well, and didn't pill/peel/get icky on my face.

telzey
insider
1 year, 10 months ago

This is an interesting topic. Sometimese the same thing happens to me.

volta
elite
1 year, 10 months ago

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend