Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Should I apply my liquid foundation with a stiffling brush or a sponge?

Discussion

Should I apply my liquid foundation with a stiffling brush or a sponge?

Right now I'm using Neutrogena liquid foundation and I'm wondering which tool I should use to apply it?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

6 Replies

jaebass
insider
11 months, 4 weeks ago
Re: Should I apply my liquid foundation with a stiffling brush or a sponge?

I have never worked with that foundation but use the Revlon ColorStay and I use a damp wet sponge. If you use a dry sponge it will be completely ineffective but a wet sponge, rung out so it's damp is amazing. It leaves a natural dewy finish that I cannot get with a brush. I also do not use a brush because I feel like it is not as sanitary. I use one sponge per application and throw it out as soon as I'm done applying my foundation and replace it with a fresh one the next day. It's also more convenient than having to wash a brush every time after you apply foundation. Sponges are cleaner, most cost effective, and convenient.

CaroleVonAllten
elite
1 year, 11 months ago
Foundattion application

I never use a sponge or brush. I use my fingers. I dot it on and blend with my fingers. Provides a natural look. Carole Von Allten

LipglossandSpandex
BLOGGER
1 year, 10 months ago

Generally, fingers give the most natural look for liquid foundation. However, it's not always practical to do that (it gets a little messy when I'm still half asleep in the morning and end up getting foundation on everything...) There are so many different stippling brushes and so many different sponges, that it's hard to say what works best. I personally feel that a sponge is easiest and quickest, and I don't have to wash it every day, whereas I feel like I have to have a very clean foundation brush EVERY application to have it look good. I would try both and see! You could even do brush one one half of your face, and a sponge on the other half....

volta
elite
1 year, 11 months ago

Do you mean a stippling brush? You can (although it works best with powder), just make sure it's made of synthetic bristles so it doesn't absorb the foundation and ruin the brush (along with hoarding bacteria).

Although I'm not normally an advocate of sponges (because they soak up so much makeup and you waste your money from having to buy foundation more frequently), I do like them if I'm building coverage in a small area, or for cleaning up foundation lines. 

Really, it's all about what floats your boat. Some people don't like handling brushes, some people don't like getting their fingers dirty, and some people don't like using sponges. Find a method that works for you and makes you comfortable. :-)

Nicole1021
allstar
1 year, 11 months ago

I either use my fingers or a brush but I find that the majority of the time I end up using my fingers. Haven't used a sponge.. seems costly.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend