Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » combination skin

Discussion

combination skin

I have combination skin and am currently using the oil-free stress free facial soap by neutrogena. I have bad breakouts on my chin and around my hairline but my acne products seem to be drying out my cheeks should I use two different cleansers?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

2 Replies

volta
elite
1 year, 11 months ago
Re: combination skin

Nonono! Don't use two different cleansers! That'll make the problem worse! What's (likely) the problem is that the salicylic acid in the cleanser is just sitting on the surface of your skin which is causing the dry patches. I do have lots of questions for you.

What's your lifestyle like? How frequently do you change your pillowcases? Do you have bangs/fringe (hair)? Are you constantly setting your hands on your chin? Do these breakout happen on a consistent basis (like the whole month) or do they happen every few weeks like clockwork?

Are you using additiona creams/serums/treatments or is the cleanser the only thing? Do you use any scrubs or exfoliators? Do you moisturize and use sunscreen? If so, name everything.

I know that's a TON of questions, but knowing more about what you use and your habits will definitely be useful to giving you a better response! :-)

advicesisterA
BLOGGER
1 year, 9 months ago
Re: combination skin

There are products that are supposed to be good for combination skin, and it appears that you have just been unfortunate enough to pick something that doesn't work for you. Don't give up. I'd try a very simple soap (e.g. basis) and dot some acne cream just on the breakouts. But since these breakouts are on your chin and hairline, it's very possible that they're coming from a different source --YOU! Do you touch your face a lot or have bangs? Both of these could be the cause, not the soap you're using. I don't think two difference cleansers will solve the problem, but trying a few different ones until you find one that doesn't make you break out or irritate your skin, might not be a bad idea. Don't think you have to buy expensive produce. Just look for some that are either good for all skin types, or are for sensitive/combo skin

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend