Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » My eyeshadow won't stop creasing!

Discussion

My eyeshadow won't stop creasing!

so I'm pretty new to eyeshadow but I know that it's not supposed to rub off and crease within an hour of me putting it on! I've noticed that my eyelids get a llittle greasy, is that normal? After watching some makeup guru videos on youtube I'v learned that using a primer will make the eyeshadow last longer but will it help with my greasyish eyelids?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

11 Replies

CaroleVonAllten
elite
1 year, 11 months ago
Creasing Eye Shadow

Yes, a primer will help. Urban Decay and Too Faced are the best. Also, be sure to use highly saturated powder eye shadow. This will definitely stop the creasing or melting. Try Urban Decay, Too Faced or Clinique; or if you want to spend less, try Revlon and L'Oreal. Be sure to buy a palette, which allows you to sculpt the shadows. For example, you put a very light shadow all over the lid and up to the brow. Then apply a pretty eye color to your lid that enhances your eye color. Then apply a darker color like grey or brown to the crease for contour and blend, blend blend. Be sure to use a soft brush made for eye shadow application or a sponge applicator, which you should use for the blending. I hope this helps, and good luck. Carole Von Allten

MissXu
elite
1 year, 11 months ago
Eyelid primer

Would definitely help. 

Also, try washing your face before applying makeup, and to maybe use an oil blotter to remove excess oil and such. 

TheLacqueredLady
elite
1 year, 11 months ago
Re: My eyeshadow won't stop creasing!

Primer is a great way to go (my favorites are by Urban Decay and BE). There are also other things you can do. If you don't want to use primer, put foundation on your eyelids and then powder. You can also do this underneath your primer. You can also help yourself out with the type of eye shadow you purchase. Cream shadows are notorious for creasing. Mineral shadows tend to wear quite well (I like BE shadows for this). You may also find that some brands simply don't work well for you so you need to experiment on that level. You can also purchase eyeshadows that have a built in primer, such as those from CoverGirl and BE. Finally, before putting on your mascara try a make up setting spray over your entire face. You can also use hair spray for this if you choose one that isn't too sticky.

I hope you have fun experimenting with your make up!

volta
elite
1 year, 11 months ago

I like using a make up setting spray too because it gives shadow a nice satin luster (even more so than shadows that already have a satin or pearl finish). :-)

AllisonRae
insider
1 year, 11 months ago
Urban Decay

As a lot of people have already said, a primer like Urban Decay's Primer Potion is a great choice. I first tried it about 2 years ago, and I don't know how I ever lived without it haha. I used to just use some concealer before I put on my eyeshadow, and that helped with some grease, but the UD primer makes colors more vibrant, there's no creasing, and your eyeshadow will last ALL day. Last year I bought the primer in the color "Sin", and I love that even more than the original, non-colored one. It's a bronzey/gold shimmer, and sometimes I just wear it alone with no shadow because the color is so great.

And they changed the packaging so now it's a squeeze tube, and you really get a lot out of it. I bought it last year and am still on the same tube, and I use it every day. It may seem pricey (I think it's about $20), but it's worth it, trust me :) It's one makeup product I rave about and tell all my friends to try.

alexi
insider
1 year, 11 months ago

thank you so much for the advice! I'll definiatley go get some primer!

CaroleVonAllten
elite
1 year, 11 months ago
Creasing Eye Shadow

lilinah
insider
1 year, 11 months ago
Foundation on Eyelids

My mother always put foundation on her eyes and around her lips, back in the days before primers.

But I have somewhat sensitive eyes, and I have found that many foundations make my eyes burn and tear.

So I would recommend giving this a test when you don't have to be anywhere important. If it works, great. But if not, it would be very sad to do it, then get all made up and dressed up, and find your eyes are burning and won't stop running.

BlondieMcSteel
insider
1 year, 11 months ago
Makeup setting spray is the way to go!

Personally, I've had good luck with Urban Decay eyeshadow primers.  They come in different shades, and there's even a shimmery one.  After applying eye shadow, you can also "set" your makeup with a spray fixative.  Urban Decay has a WONDERFUL one called "All Nighter".  You can spray it over your eye makeup (and your face makeup too if you have oily skin or combination skin).  It somehow lowers the temperature of your makeup so it doesn't slide off - even if it's a hot and muggy day.  I swear I don't work for them!  I've just been on a kick lately of trying their products.  I have a friend who works as a nightclub hostess, and she's in a hot club all night.  She uses the "All Nighter" spray and her makeup is flawless even at 4 a.m.  Good luck to you, alexi!

volta
elite
1 year, 11 months ago

Yep, what she said ^^

Make sure it's eye shadow primer, and not foundtion primer! Foundation primer isn't meant for your eye area! 

A tube of primer normally costs $15-$20, but one tube (tube as opposed to a wand) will last about a year! It's definitely worth the investment! 

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend