Home » Community » Message Boards » Everything Makeup » Looking for a good makeup remover. Any recommendations?

Discussion

Looking for a good makeup remover. Any recommendations?

Lately I have noticed that my normal nightly cleansing routine is not cutting it as far as taking off my makeup. I do have eye makeup removers but I'm actually looking for one that I can use all over my face. Does anyone have any recommendations? I would prefer to buy a drugstore but if there is a dept store brand that is really good I might splurge for it. Thanks for taking the time to read and reply!

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

22 Replies

al33oop
2 years ago
An Effective and Cost Efficient Makeup Remover

I live on the Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes. Whether it's long lasting makeup that I want to take off before going to bed or to erase a stray blot of mascara that's fallen on my cheek, these towelettes will do the trick. Under $10, sold at local drugstores, and it leaves your face feeling refreshed afterward. The best part is that these towlettes don't discriminate between eye makeup and foundation or lipstick, they work your whole face with just one towelette. I love them and have used them for years now with no problem!  

advicesisterA
BLOGGER
1 year, 10 months ago
Re: Looking for a good makeup remover. Any recommendations?

The best of the best is by NARS. Their new Makeup Removing Water is amazing (although not budget-priced). It is soap-free, oil-free, and alcohol-free and removes face makeup and tones the skin. It gently, yet thoroughly sweeps makeup, and has botanical ingredients to hydrate. The good news is also that it is non-comedogenic (in other words, it won't block your pores), and it's dermatologist-tested and ophthalmologist-tested. This NARS product actually feels like water, but swipe it on your stubborn makeup and watch all your mascara and even long-wear lipstick, dissolve away!

TeresaDouglas
2 years ago

I also like the Neutrogena wipes - they work very well in removing all traces of makeup, and they're gentle on your skin. I favor wipes over creams for removing makeup in general because they're so much easier!

MssDani
allstar
2 years ago
Thanks ladies!

I will give these makeup wipes a try next time I'm at the drugstore. Thanks for your recommendations!

Supernaturalfan
insider
2 years ago

I agree with al33oop, I use Neutrogena's Makeup Remover Cloths as well.  They are effective and cheap, but if you are trying to remove waterproof mascara or all-day lip color, humble old-fashioned baby oil is better.  You can then wash away the oily residue with your cleanser.Laughing

darkangel81
allstar
2 years ago

In the past, I've used Olay Cleaning Wipes.  They have the wet wipes and the ones that use water to lather up.  I've found that the Olay brand is good when it comes to taking makeup off but not leaving your skin dried out. 

One time, I ran out of cleanser on Halloween, none the less, so I used Rimmel Eye Makeup remover all over my face!  The liquid has the consistency of water, not oily.  Even though it took off ALL my makeup, I wouldn't use it on the regular basis, but for that one time, it did work and I didn't break out either. 

For all over face, I suggest using Pond's Cold Cream.  It is the best when it comes to taking off waterproof eye makeup!!!

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

TheLacqueredLady
elite
2 years ago

Basic Ponds cold cream works really well, but what it really comes down to is your face wash. I recommend a gel cleanser - it really works into pores and gets out all the dirt and make up. My favorite is the L'Oreal one. If you prefer cream cleansers, I like the Olay Rengerist cream cleanser. Unlike some other commenters, I found the Neutrogena face wipes to leave an unpleasant oily residue on my skin which I really disliked. Finally, if you decide to upgrade your eye make up remover, I highly recommend Lancome Bifacil (the US version) - works like a dream.

capecorona
allstar
2 years ago
Merle Norman

I love, love, love their foaming face cleanser which comes in a tube. You need a small amount and your face will feel terrific. Follow up toner even better. I use their eye makeup remover too. Takes it all off. Not oily but not dry. I actually prefer the CVS face wipes when I don t feel like doing the entire treatment over Neutrogena. I used Neutrogena face wash (foaming) and was not impressed. It did not foam and I did not feel clean. Once again you pay for what you get. Their studies are so nice too. You get such personal attention. I can spend hours in their. I was always an Estée Lauder fan and they just did not match my foundation correctly. Insisting I was a beige. Merle Norman finally got it right. Ivory.

capecorona
allstar
2 years ago
Baby oil

By thevway, I personally would not use baby oil. Clogs the pores. I tried Pond s and nozzle a. No go for me. Loved the Merle Norman, Lancôme, Estée Lauder. Always will I guess. May cost more but such a little amount is needed.

MissXu
elite
2 years ago
Clinique and Lancome

I actually have a bunch of their sample size products from which my mom buys full size products and gets all these free samples that she gives to me to use. 

I really like the Lancome bi-facial eye remover, I think it removes eye makeup very well.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend