Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Help me do my make-up!

Discussion

Help me do my make-up!

Hi! I need some make-up advice. When I do my make-up, I usually only use face powder, black eyeliner on the bottom lid, and then lip and cheek tint on my lips and cheeks. People say that I look much older when I have make-up on. I want to try going bare-faced at work, but I think that when I don't have make-up on, I look like a man. I don't want to upload a photo of myself, but my family tells me I look a bit like America Ferrera (no offense to America!). What can I do?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

8 Replies

CaroleVonAllten
elite
2 years ago
Makeup

I would suggest lining your upper eye lid, adding a neutral eyeshadow, and definitely lots of mascara and lip gloss. This will complete your look, and enhance your features. Carole VonAllten

TeresaDouglas
2 years ago
Re: Help me do my make-up!

I would also suggest lining your upper eyelids, and you might want to choose a softer eyeliner color than black. Also, make sure that you're not over-doing it on the face powder, as this can "age" you.

plainjane84
2 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely try them out tomorrow!

Nicole1021
allstar
2 years ago

You say makeup makes you look older but not knowing your age I don't know if looking older is a bad or good thing.   First, I think a good foundation is very important. If you're on the younger side and don't have many flaws, even a tinted moisturizer or BB cream is good to add a glow to your skin.   Also a little bronker or shimmery blush or illuminaotr to light your face up.    Eyeshadow to play up your eyes and you left out the most important thing which is mascara!!   Even just a quick curl of the lashes and one coat of mascara will help open your eyes up.   If you do need liner then possibly a purpleish tone (if your eyes are brown).   You m ight even benefit from usuing the Almay products for eye color. Go with the shadow, mascara and liner from there and play up your eyes.

If you indeed don't want to wear makeup, I definately suggest you at the very least go for the BB cream/tinted moisturizer and mascara.  No manly looks there!! Good luck.

plainjane84
2 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, nicole. I guess i usually skip mascara because it's too much work for me (i'm not used to doing my make-up so i normally head for quick fixes). I've also never tried bb cream before, but I'll give it a shot. By the way, I'm 27 (haha i forgot to include that!).

Nicole1021
allstar
2 years ago

I'm so jealous of your age! Haha. Well you don't have to do nearly as much as I do as I'm turning 40 this year.  I think a tinted moisturizer is a great thing for you.  As for mascara, eyelash curlers are great! Maybe just curl your lashes and add one coat of a lightweight mascara like Maybelline full and soft. Or even Loreal voluminous would be nice with one coat.  

jackie_hines
2 years ago
I usually don't do this.....

Definitely listen to what everyone else is saying about playing up your eyes and using a lightweight foundation if you have good skin. Vitalumiere Aqua by Chanel is like applying water to your face and can be built up if needed. The plus side is it's not as expensive as you might think. If I remember correctly it's around 38.00 Tarte has great foudations as well as the're also good for your skin. Also please, please, if your're going to line your eyes at least line the upper eyelid not just the lower rim......I can't emphasize that enough. Being a newbie to makeup, Benefit has 2 great eyeshadow kits that come with instructions so it's 100% goof proof :) The coloring will work well also with either kit. Also take the advice on your lashes, they frame your eyes! Tarte makes an awesome mascara for about 18 or 19 dollars either the lights, camera, lashes or amazonian clay smart mascara. Nars Orgasm blush is a cult favorite for a reason! Gorgeous on everyone! Lastly since your shy of makeup I would go with a light pink shimmer for the lips either gloss or lipstick. Hope that helps! You sound absolutely adorable and I felt compelled to reply. I went to school for this stuff and the most important thing I learned is be good to your skin and it's makeup....have fun!!!!! Xoxo

TheLacqueredLady
elite
2 years ago

Black eyeliner can make everyone look a bit old. It tends to be severe and, when worn on the bottom lashes, it can make you look more tired - especially as it wears. Try mixing it up with some other colors. Brown and navy are great options. They are less severe looking. Also, just try experimenting. I recommend using liner on the top lid if you are going to wear it on the bottom. It helps balance out the eye. In all truth, though, make up is about what you like, regardless of what other people think.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend