Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Best cleaner/moisturizer for...

Discussion

Best cleaner/moisturizer for...

Hello all. Just joined and this is my first post.

I am looking for some advice regarding cleansers and moisturizers. I have always had good skin, never delt with acne in my teens, etc. I never really developed a routine for cleaning and taking care of my skin. I have always been lucky to just wash with soap and go. Even today at 42, people still think I am 30. 

I am trying to set a good example for my 13 yr old daughter now. Her skin is prone to acne, is oily... typical teenager issues. So I decided the best way to help her is live by example. So we eat better, exercise more, drink more water and have a beauty routine.

My problem is the things I have tried so far, seem to react to my skin, making it red, itch, sometimes feel very hot (burn) or leave my face feeling bumpy. Clearly I haven't made very good choices for my products.

I started out with Basis Cleaner Clean Face Wash. It seemed to work well. I choose it because in doing research, it was number 5 on the list of 18 as the best cleanser and I could actually purchase locally.

In combination, I was using Ponds Moisturizer for Dry Skin for my night moisturizer, but it sometimes left my skin burning and it would be bumpy the next morning. I read up on it afterwords and found out more about the mineral oil and stopped using it on my face after that. I now just use it on my elbows and feet.

I then purchased Oil of Olay for Sensitive Skin, which seems to do well, but my face is so reactive to things right now, I am not sure what is working and what is causing issue.

So I stopped using anything, went back to washing my face with soap (Caress) which I have done for a very long time before starting this routine.

I am here now, seeking advice. Has anyone else had such issues? If you have sensitive skin, what do you use? Any thoughts?

On an additional note, I live in a very small town. I only have a Walmart to buy from locally and more immediately. I don't even have a local drug store. I can order online as well, but would like to have the options for samples to try before investing, to avoid my previous issues.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice given.

Rae

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

1 Reply

TheLacqueredLady
elite
2 years, 1 month ago
Give it time

Good for you for setting an example. I have had incredible luck with the Olay Regenerist face washes. They are gentle and less fragranced than other face washes. You may also consider a gel cleanser (l'oreal has a good one) rather than a cream as they leave less residue on the skin (but they can also be more drying). I would also recommend that - barring an allergic reaction - you give each new face wash you try a chance to actually change your skin. This means using for at least 2 weeks.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend