Home » Community » Message Boards » Everything Makeup » Knowing what color makeup to use with outfits-help please!

Discussion

Knowing what color makeup to use with outfits-help please!

I have such a hard time knowing what colors to use on eyes and cheeks to match my outfits so I have stuck with the same shades for years and am ready for change. Would love your help, porfavor!

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

6 Replies

volta
elite
2 years ago
Re: Knowing what color makeup to use with outfits-help please!

The beauty about makeup is that there are no rules for color combinations! If you have the confidence to wear bright and daring colors, then do so!

However, some people like to match warmer colors with warmer shades of makeup, cooler colors with cooler shades, or neutrals match everything, etc. I usually do try to avoid wearing the same shade of makeup with clothes--i.e. if you're wearing a blue dress I try to steer away from blue shadow. I think it looks like too much of one color so that's just what I do, personally. The only exception I think is black (technically it's not a color anyways!), but black matching everything and a nice smokey eye is always sexy (from a subtle smokey eye to a dramatic smokey eye!) 

eli
insider
2 years ago
What color make-up to use with outfits?

Your pic is great! But the first thing, to really help, would be to know your age. Are you one for make-overs? After so many years of doing the same thing, a make over (make-up makeover) is the best thing to do.Where? Lord & Taylor had hair, manicure, make-up  - all 3 for $50.00. A make over and I'm talking strickly make up here, will tell you what pigments your skin has in it and what colors are right for your skin tone. That's a great help. There's nothing wrong with having a basic routine for your make up every day. You do have to know the difference between putting night time make up on and day time make up on. Use a foundation. Foundation is the base you work off of and keeps you other make up(blush, lip stick, shadows) in place all day. A non comedic foundation is the best because it doesn't clog your pores and won't make you sweat. Put foundation on your eyelids, lips and BLEND.Take a cotton ball and go around your hairline, creases of nose, sides of cheeks and sideburns. Smile when you put your make up on. You see where your cheek bones are, where smile lines are and it just makes you feel better. Use a loose powder alone or over the foundation and...BLEND. Blush - - from your picture, you can use various colors. Try plums or something a little darker. Creme blushes are nice, they hold well. They hold well on top of foundation and foundation evens out your color tone. That is important! You can go lighter with a softer pink like Divine Wine from Neutrogena. Go to make up counters and ask. Browse, schmooze and ask the girls behind the counters, this is where you are going to get the best advise because they can see you, it's their job to help and the girls are really good. Ask them where your cheek bones are and where to apply the blush. Start with smaller questions. You'll find girls who will practically go the entire 9 yards with you and you don't have to buy anything. Years ago, we would walk into the department stores and do this, before we went out at night, so we'd have great looking make up for the night out. Plus, it's a great pick me up. Do you live near a large city? Larger cities have all kinds of boutiques or little places here and there you can seek out and ask questions. I could go on and on for you and I will. I have to continue this, tho, a bit later. If you wish, you can contact me at elissa.sangi@yahoo.com and I can answer some specific questions for you. good luck 'till later

powerwoman033
elite
2 years ago

Once again, you have 2 wonderful answers already.  My only additional tip would be to take a color that matches the part of the outfit you match, and swipe that color into the creases of your eyes.  You should keep everything else neutral and the pop of color will look fantastic!  As far as your crease goes, you close your eye and swipe the color with a brush in a windshield wiper motion where your eye socket and lid meet.  I hope that makes sense!  It's the bend of your eye.  Anyway, I hope this helps and good luck!  Show us what you choose to do!Wink

TeresaDouglas
2 years ago

When I wear eyshadow, I usually stick to neutral colors that will work well with whatever I'm wearing. I do try to choose a lipstick that doesn't clash with the color of my clothes - for example, if I'm wearing a red shirt, I won't wear a coral lipstick.

eli
insider
2 years ago
What color make up to use with outfits

Dear Bootiful - I DID write you a 2nd reply to you question and this reply was all about your eye shape, colors, I mean the whole 9!  I probably forgot to hit the post button 'cause it is not here. Oh well, I was so into answering your question, I totally forgot to SEND it - - DUH.

VV001
allstar
1 year, 9 months ago
Re: Re: Knowing what color makeup to use with outfits-help please!
volta posted:

The beauty about makeup is that there are no rules for color combinations! If you have the confidence to wear bright and daring colors, then do so!

However, some people like to match warmer colors with warmer shades of makeup, cooler colors with cooler shades, or neutrals match everything, etc. I usually do try to avoid wearing the same shade of makeup with clothes--i.e. if you're wearing a blue dress I try to steer away from blue shadow. I think it looks like too much of one color so that's just what I do, personally. The only exception I think is black (technically it's not a color anyways!), but black matching everything and a nice smokey eye is always sexy (from a subtle smokey eye to a dramatic smokey eye!) 

Exactly. It's not about matching the colors you're wearing as much as matching warm/cool. I wear a lot of warm colors, so most of my make-up colors are also warm. When I wear cool colors and can't seem to find something to *match*, I normally go for a black/grey smoky eye. Think *coordinate* with your outfit, not match. So an outfit of warm blues and greens can totally work with a warm purple eyeshadow (subtly is ofter key). Or cooler colors can so easily be matched to anything metallic. But it's always fun to mix things up with statement make-up. If you're wearing a more neutral or simple outfit, it can be the perfect thing to set off a pair of bold lips or a dramatic eye color.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend