Home » Community » Message Boards » Everything Makeup » What goes on first-concealer or foundation?

Discussion

What goes on first-concealer or foundation?

I seen some utube videos where some said to put your foundation on first then use concealer on top. I always thought it was the other way around. I would love to hear your thoughts, please!

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

9 Replies

volta
elite
2 years ago
Re: What goes on first-concealer or foundation?

It depends on the type of concealer and foundation, and the consistency. 

A "general" rule of thumb is that concealer goes on after foundation. This is partially true because if you put on foundation after concealer, then that foundation is likely to move around the concealer underneath and remove its effects. This is true for cream or liquid foundation.

However, if you are using a powder foundation, you want to put your cream or liquid concealer on first prior to putting on your powder. Also, you want to be careful with how you put on your powder. Most powders are made that they have to be pressed in, rather than buffed on. The finer the powder, the more likely you need to press it on with a sponge or a puff. If you are using BareMinerals, since the particals are a little larger, you have to buff that. Be VERY careful buffing over the makeup so you don't move around the concealer. BareMinerals does make a powder concealer and that should go after you put your foundation on.

There are some exceptions. My experience working with makeup, you CAN put on concealer before foundation--depending on the consistency and texture of the concealer. The more creamier the concealer, you will have to put on that on above your foundation (unless you're very careful--I've gotten away with using the liquidy Smashbox HD concealer before foundation, but you have to press that in well prior to foundation application). If concealer is "thicker" or "tougher" to spread (likely those that come in concealing palettes)--incuding color correcting palettes, then those are designed to be worn under foundation. You will get a better application with those types of concealers if you use a brush. Those are harder to spread so they're designed to be wore under foundation because it makes it more difficult to move around when applying foundation. 

In a nutshell, it depends on the type of concealer you have. If it's very creamy and easy to blend, then those should be worn on top of liquid or cream foundations, unless you're VERY careful and you can pull off wearing concealer underneath foundation. You want to wear concealer under powder foundation because the powder will also set the makeup so it lasts longer throughout the day and it less visible. If you have concealer palettes or a concealer that is thicker and harder to spread--OR a color corrector, then those are to be worn under and type of foundation because they will be harder to move around upon foundation application.

I hope that made sense. :-)

eli
insider
2 years ago
What goes on first concealer or foundation

Concealer goes on first, then foundation. Actually, moisturizer goes on before anything. There is nothing wrong with putting concealer over foundation; maybe you forgot or as the day goes on, you find your under eyes needing something more. Do the inner eye, under eye, outer eye and you can even do the lid. This is usually done with foundation, but there are times you gotta run and with all the new, great stuff out there, I've used concealer as foundation.  Halston was the best foundation I ever used. They are both important to even out your facial tone. However, I think common sense alone tells one, the concealer goes on under the foundation. You want to conceal, cover, fill in and over that you will put on your base foundation that will hold your blush, etc.With concealer first, put it on and let it dry. Go do something else. You're not going to put a ton on, so it won't be that long, but let it dry. I love a loose powder. Back in the day, at Estee Lauder Red Door, they would say,"Don't you want your skin to look like velvet?" The powder was worn without foundation. The most important is to blend. Blend well, go lightly and as in my response to a previous question of yours: get a makeover. Pick a good place and all your questions will be answered plus you will be shown how to apply everything. These are great, basic questions you have, that everyone should know. The replies you are getting are gems. Good luck and practice, fool around, look ridiculous ( all by yourself) but that's what's for, in getting to learn about make-up.

TheLacqueredLady
elite
2 years ago

I agree with Volta - who wrote a great response. It also depends on what the purpose of the concealer is. If you are using an under eye concealer, technically you shouldn't be putting foundation in that area, so it is a moot point. For around my nose, I typically put on foundation first and let it set. I then put on a touch of concealer and finish the entire look with powder. To be honest, most beauty rules are really just a matter of opinion, so try it both ways and see what you like!

powerwoman033
elite
2 years ago

Hi Bootifull,

Welcome the community!  You are not going to find a better answer than the one Volta gave and the follow up tip!  Good luck to you!Smile

TeresaDouglas
2 years ago

I follow the same techniques that Valta mentioned - concealer first if I'm using a powder foundation, and concealer last if I'm using a liquid foundation. I always use cream concealers.

advicesisterA
BLOGGER
1 year, 10 months ago

Actually, I'd say concealer is probably not your best defense against blemishes or blotches. Unless you perfectly color match your concealer to your foundation, it will always seem obvious. I'd prefer to use an opaque foundation in the same color as the one you're planning to spackle over that concealer, dotting it on carefully, then smoothing foundation over it. But if you're determined to use concealer, put on your foundation first, then color match the concealer if you can to the foundation

mayra_alonzo
insider
2 years ago

I've tried both ways and the one that works best for me is foundation first and then conceler but it depends on your personal opion

Supernaturalfan
insider
2 years ago

I use foundation first.  That way, you won't have as much to conceal, since a good foundation will cover or conceal quite a bit.  Then, I gently pat on my concealer.  I think it's true it depends on the consistency as well, but this is what works for me.  For one thing, I don't want to rub off the concealer after putting foundation over it.

However, I will try it the other way around sometime out of curiousity!

volta
elite
2 years ago

Ahh yes, a completely wonderful and critical point I completely forgot. :D

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend