Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Split ends and damaged hair

Discussion

Split ends and damaged hair

My hair is about 4 inches past my shoulder and the ends are so damaged. I started highlighting it about 2 years ago and before that I didn't have problems with split ends. After I get a trim it's fine for about a week then I start noticing the ends getting damaged again. I use a mask at least once a week and use redken anti snap before I dry it and treseme heat protectant spray before I flat iron (always on medium heat) or use a curling iron. I've also tried the John Frieda split end serum that you put on over night but my hair was even longer than it is now so I only got a couple uses out of it and I didn't see much improvement. I don't know if I should do a major cut or what to do differently but my hair needs some therapy.

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

5 Replies

volta
elite
2 years, 1 month ago
Re: Split ends and damaged hair

I loooove the Miracle 7 hair care line you can get at Sally's. Also, something that might help is to leave the conditioner in your hair for a few minutes every time you wash so that it can penetrate deeper. A leave-in conditioner might also help. I like to spray it in my hands and massage it into my hair, rather than just spraying it into my hair. 

The most important thing is to make sure your hair isn't damp prior to flat ironing. Even if you spray your hair with the thermal spray, that dampness can cause your hair to fry from the heat. Make sure your hair is completely dry. Beyond The Zone (also at Sally's) has a line called "Smooth Criminal" which is awesome for thermal protection, smoothing hair, and preventing heat damage. 

Also, what kind of flat iron do you use? What are the plates made of? I recommend using one with ceramic or tourmaline becuase they seal the cuticle so moisture is locked inside. 

LipglossandSpandex
BLOGGER
1 year, 10 months ago

Between the heat and the highlighting, your hair is just damaged. Products can temporarily bond together split ends, but they aren't actually fixing your hair. You need a good cut, and less heat processing. Not fun to hear, but my hair is kind of in the same place. :(

skincaretalks
1 year, 5 months ago

In my opinion you should concentrate more on proteins in your diet than applying anything on your hair.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend