Weight Loss

Is Atkin Diet safe for weight loss?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

8 Replies

ObiRae
2 years ago
Re: Weight Loss

It depends on what you mean by 'safe'. The only really safe method of losing weight is to exercise and eat healthy, as well as increasing your water intake. But I understand the want to loose more than the "1 pound a week" healthy method.

Here is some quick comments I found about the diet:

• First they say that it is a known fact that there is a correlation between high-fat, high-cholesterol diets and heart disease. The Atkins Diet is a high-fat, high cholesterol diet; therefore, it must cause one to be at a higher risk for heart disease. The problem is that there is also an correlation between serum cholesterol and triglycerides and heart disease. The Atkins Diet, according to the VA study, actually lowers cholesterol and triglycerides and improves the HDL/LDL ratio. As far as I know, there is no specific study of people on the Atkins Diet that found them at a higher risk for heart disease.
  • There is a claim that the body not only metabolizes fat, it also eats away at muscle tissue when on this diet. The claim seems to be extrapolated from studies of people who were starving. From what I can tell, there probably is some muscle loss while one is losing weight, but it's not severe and can be made up for with some exercise.
  • There is a claim that the Atkins Diet builds up toxic materials in the bloodstream (Ketones) and that excreting these over a long period of time will damage the Kidneys. The VA study showed no effect on kidney function, but the study was only over 4 months. I think this objection is one of serious concern, and that further studies need to be done (particularly if 20 million people are trying this diet). There is also the point that over the long term, Atkins' "maintenance diet" is not so restrictive on carbs.

What are the pitfalls of this diet?

1. If you go on the Atkins Diet, you may have to stay on it for life. There are a couple reasons for this. First, as with any diet, when you go off the diet, the body has a tendency to recover it's lost weight. So quitting any diet without nutritional and lifestyle changes leads to weight gain. However, the Atkins Diet seems particularly prone to weight gain if you stop because the body thinks it has gone through a famine and will lay in plenty of extra fat to meet the next one. Also there is that tendency to eat all those foods that were missing during the diet (many of them full of sugar). To belie what I just said, when I quit the Atkins Diet, I did not gain the weight back, and indeed lost some more weight by an increased awareness of what was in the foods I ate, and avoiding snacks.
  2. Contrary to Atkins' book, the diet is really restrictive (unless you are a cooking genius). Just read the book and then go through the supermarket and look at all the things you can't eat (and be sure to read the labels). Just about everything is either flour, sugar or some combination of the two. My 8 oz cup of yogurt had 43 grams of carbohydrates (42 of them from sugar!). You can't eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, a salad with oil and vinegar dressing for lunch, and a big hunk of meat at supper without longing for something else after a while. You really miss the fruits and vegetables and desserts. However, after the diet kicks in, you can add some of these things. By looking at labels I found a really nice low-carbohydrate ranch dressing.
  3. You can have diarrhea and constipation due to a lack of fiber. Your breath may smell funny from the Ketones.
  4. You can't find anything you can eat in a vending machine except peanuts, pork rinds and diet soda.

For myself, I follow a version of Weight Watchers. (by version, I mean I researched, finding a site that simulates it without having to pay for the WW fees. You can calculate points, get point values, etc.) I like that because it gives me control. I can eat anything I want, I just have to be accountable for everything that goes in my mouth. So you dont feel like your denying yourself. You can also control how much or little you wish to do it.

Regardless, exercise is a very important factor as well as drinking more water, whatever you choose to do.

Rae

MrsFrosty226
insider
2 years ago
your body needs carbs!

The atkins diet will help you lose weight but it isn't the healthiest way to go about it.  Your body (your brain in particular) needs carbs for energy.  yes,  you can break down protein to use for evergy but the process leaves ketone metabolites in your blood that damage vessels.  It also it's really sustainable.  the second you reintroduce carbs your body will horde them and store them, and all the weight you lost will come right back.  Be careful!

TeresaDouglas
2 years ago

Another reason to be very careful when doing Atkins is that eating lots of high-fat foods can contribute to clogged arteries in your heart. Stick with lean proteins such as poultry or fish rather than eating large portions of red meat and cheese. My father did Atkins the wrong way and eventually needed heart surgery.

shawnshawn
2 years ago

thank you for those information. those things are really helpful and i understand also the things that i may be considered before having the atkins diet.

rooneyhed
1 year, 9 months ago
Re: Re: Weight Loss
ObiRae posted:

It depends on what you mean by 'safe'. The only really safe method of losing weight is to exercise and eat healthy, as well as increasing your water intake. But I understand the want to loose more than the "1 pound a week" healthy method.

Here is some quick comments I found about the diet:

• First they say that it is a known fact that there is a correlation between high-fat, high-cholesterol diets and heart disease. The Atkins Diet is a high-fat, high cholesterol diet; therefore, it must cause one to be at a higher risk for heart disease. The problem is that there is also an correlation between serum cholesterol and triglycerides and heart disease. The Atkins Diet, according to the VA study, actually lowers cholesterol and triglycerides and improves the HDL/LDL ratio. As far as I know, there is no specific study of people on the Atkins Diet that found them at a higher risk for heart disease.
  • There is a claim that the body not only metabolizes fat, it also eats away at muscle tissue when on this diet. The claim seems to be extrapolated from studies of people who were starving. From what I can tell, there probably is some muscle loss while one is losing weight, but it's not severe and can be made up for with some exercise.
  • There is a claim that the Atkins Diet builds up toxic materials in the bloodstream (Ketones) and that excreting these over a long period of time will damage the Kidneys. The VA study showed no effect on kidney function, but the study was only over 4 months. I think this objection is one of serious concern, and that further studies need to be done (particularly if 20 million people are trying this diet). There is also the point that over the long term, Atkins' "maintenance diet" is not so restrictive on carbs.

What are the pitfalls of this diet?

1. If you go on the Atkins Diet, you may have to stay on it for life. There are a couple reasons for this. First, as with any diet, when you go off the diet, the body has a tendency to recover it's lost weight. So quitting any diet without nutritional and lifestyle changes leads to weight gain. However, the Atkins Diet seems particularly prone to weight gain if you stop because the body thinks it has gone through a famine and will lay in plenty of extra fat to meet the next one. Also there is that tendency to eat all those foods that were missing during the diet (many of them full of sugar). To belie what I just said, when I quit the Atkins Diet, I did not gain the weight back, and indeed lost some more weight by an increased awareness of what was in the foods I ate, and avoiding snacks.
  2. Contrary to Atkins' book, the diet is really restrictive (unless you are a cooking genius). Just read the book and then go through the supermarket and look at all the things you can't eat (and be sure to read the labels). Just about everything is either flour, sugar or some combination of the two. My 8 oz cup of yogurt had 43 grams of carbohydrates (42 of them from sugar!). You can't eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, a salad with oil and vinegar dressing for lunch, and a big hunk of meat at supper without longing for something else after a while. You really miss the fruits and vegetables and desserts. However, after the diet kicks in, you can add some of these things. By looking at labels I found a really nice low-carbohydrate ranch dressing.
  3. You can have diarrhea and constipation due to a lack of fiber. Your breath may smell funny from the Ketones.
  4. You can't find anything you can eat in a vending machine except peanuts, pork rinds and diet soda.

For myself, I follow a version of Weight Watchers. (by version, I mean I researched, finding a site that simulates it without having to pay for the WW fees. You can calculate points, get point values, etc.) I like that because it gives me control. I can eat anything I want, I just have to be accountable for everything that goes in my mouth. So you dont feel like your denying yourself. You can also control how much or little you wish to do it.

Regardless, exercise is a very important factor as well as drinking more water, whatever you choose to do.

Rae

People don't really understand that sometimes when they are losing weight, they may be losing muscle first and holding on to fat.Go to one of your local Weight Loss Centers and learn about weight loss so you will really understand how to lose weight. [url=http://www.shoppharmacycounter.com/t-phentermine.aspx]http://www.shoppharmacycounter.com/t-phentermine.aspx[/url]

rooneyhed
1 year, 9 months ago
Re: Diet safety...
thomasmite posted:

There are many way to reduce weight and burn body fat. Diet is another way to fight with over body tissues. Every types of diet have its own essential features and benefits. An Atkin diet is good and has hidden benefits for human body. But the main problem with this type of diet is that it is not suitable for everyone. In this you have to use less carbon, calcium, protein, minerals. And these ingredients are essential for human. These ingredients are also important for brain performance. 

For more detail visit: www.getfitsandiego.com/san-diego-health-club.html

People don't really understand that sometimes when they are losing weight, they may be losing muscle first and holding on to fat.Go to one of your local Weight Loss Centers and learn about weight loss so you will really understand how to lose weight. <a href="http://www.shoppharmacycounter.com/t-phentermine.aspx">http://www.shoppharmacycounter.com/t-phentermine.aspx</a>

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend