Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » What's a good nail polish and/or top coat for someone who washes their hands...

Discussion

What's a good nail polish and/or top coat for someone who washes their hands frequently?

I love wearing nail polish, but it only ever lasts a day because I wash my hands quite a bit, then it starts coming off at the tips. I don't wear my nails very long. I would love to find a nail polish and/or top coat that would allow me to wear it for at least several days.

Can anyone help?

Thank you so much for your time!!! Kiss

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

7 Replies

powerwoman033
elite
2 years, 1 month ago
Good Polish or Top Coat For A Frequent Hand Washer...

I have few tips.  First, you need a good bottom coat.  I suggest the OPI bottom coat.  From this first coat forward, you will want to apply a light coat horizontally ONLY at the tips, slightly overlapping the front tip.  Then apply vertically as usual.  By painting this way, the tips will last far longer!  Now just follow with an OPI nail lacquer (2 Coats) and finish with the OPI top coat.  My manicures always last at least a week and my hands are washed constantly.  Sephora has OPI for Sephora.  I can't recommend OPI enough!  I hope this helps!

angela_schwarz
2 years, 1 month ago
Re: What's a good nail polish and/or top coat for someone who washes their hands frequently?

Something I've never tried but have heard great things about is gel nail polish. You have to go to the nail salon to get it done because they use some sort of special light on it but the polish lasts two weeks. Also I use OPI rapid dry top coat. It helps my regular polish stay on well.

tammy_cox
2 years, 1 month ago
Re: What's a good nail polish and/or top coat for someone who washes their hands frequently?

Thank you! That was very helpful!!!

eli
insider
2 years, 1 month ago
What's a good nail polish and/or top coat for someone who washes their hands frequently?

Diane von Furstenburg has a great top coat! My mom said to me, "Why are your nails so shiny?" Weird, right? But it is a great top coat. I recently found Maybelline New York Express Finish - 50 second nail color. Very surprising!! I don't wear gloves while washing dishes or cleaning or doing my indoor gardening or anything and since I tried this polish, I haven't used anything else. I have put another color underneath it and then decided to use the Express Finish over it, just for that reason of chipping too soon. I'm using a dark color, Plum Intense and  Onyx Rush. Plum Intense covered over Plum Luck, Sally Hanson complete Salon Manicure. I'm doing my nails once a week, now? No fooling! If I get a tiny chip on the corner, I just put another coat on (did this 2 nights ago) and my nails are fine. Also, I find what really may help a lot, is my grow lite bulb, for the plants. I put first coat on and then put them under the grow bulb, to kind of bake. The same with the second coat - under the grow lite bulb, to bake. I have always used BRUCCI Nail Polish Dryer / Nail Enamal Dryer over my color. This stuff dries SUPER FAST! You have to be a bit careful, but basically, you are good to go. Especially if it 's on your toes. I haven't used anything else since I found this Maybelline and got compliments on the color. But I still think that putting your nails under a gro lite bulb ( $2.69 - screws in any lamp) bakes the color on and that is what gives the polish its' staying power. I've used Borghese etc. I'm going to have to try another brand and put that under the gro lite and see what happens. Good Luck

eli
insider
2 years ago
Good nail polish for someone who washes their hands frequently?

I replied to this, a few weeks ago and found that drying your nails under a special light bulb does the trick. As I said, I use a gro-lite for my indoor plants. I put on the first coat, dry them under the lamp and do the same thing with the second coat and top coat. I find myself doing my nails once a week. A regular light bulb isn't strong enough or doesn't give out certain rays as the gro-light does. I believe it 'bakes' the polish on. I strongly recommend trying this!

TeresaDouglas
2 years ago

I also recommend OPI polish and top coat. I get more wear out of their polishes than I do with any other brand, even if I do need to wash my hands multiples times a day.

Nicole1021
allstar
2 years ago

I had tried the nutra nail gel nail polish and although it looked very nice at first it didn't last long at all My polish lasts only a few days at the most  Maybe salon gel manicures are better? I purchased the new Loreal polish today- will report on the results in a few days.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend