Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Does trimming your hair really make your hair grow back faster?

Discussion

Does trimming your hair really make your hair grow back faster?

Is it true that trimming your ends miniumum every 3 months allows your hair to grow faster?

If you keep cutting it, how will it ever get longer?!

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

7 Replies

TheLacqueredLady
elite
2 years, 1 month ago
No

The truth is that your hair is basically biologically dead after it grows past the root. Trimming your hair has nothing to do with getting it to grow longer. What it does do is make your hair healthier in that it helps preven split ends. As you trim off the split end, it keeps the split root from climbing up your strand. So your hair lays flatter and is less dry. The truth is they only way to make your hair grow faster is to increase blood flow to the scalp (such as through massage) and by making sure you are nice and healthy.

LittleBunny
elite
2 years, 1 month ago
Re: Does trimming your hair really make your hair grow back faster?

No. What trimming does is get rid of damaged or split ends, so you have healthier hair, but hair grows from the root...so nothing you do to the ends will affect your rate of growth!

yestfl
elite
2 years, 1 month ago
Trimming

Great question. I have the same question, but I think it has to do with something about preventing hair breakage, and thus allowing it to grow, but I'm not sure how the whole thing works.

ladyboarder9669
elite
2 years, 1 month ago
I don't think it does. I think it just keeps it healthier.

BerenicePonce
insider
2 years, 1 month ago
Does trimming your hair really make your hair grow back faster?

I have asked hair stylist this question and it really does not..for people that suffer from split ends it helps to get rid of them ..but for those of us who do not get too many split ends it is not necessary..

ThePolishedCowgirl
allstar
2 years, 1 month ago
No

Trimming your hair does not make it grow in faster but it DOES make it healthier and removes the split ends.  Split ends causes your hair to break and adds to the dryness factor.  Getting regular trims and using products suited to your hair type will keep your hair healthy and manageable which will allow it to grow with less breakage.

CaroleVonAllten
elite
2 years, 1 month ago
Trimming hair

I totally agree that trimming hair makes it healthier and does not make hair grow faster. Scalp massage and special shampoos and conditioners help it to grow. Also need to make sure you eat healthy and exercise as this gets the blood flowing.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend