Home » Community » Message Boards » Everything Else » What company started out with just limited products & later really expanded?...

Discussion

What company started out with just limited products & later really expanded? Was that a good thing?

I was thinking of how my mom told me Maybelline (used to be just called Maybelline then) ONLY made eyebrow pencils, nothing else!!!  Now, we know that Maybelline New York makes cosmetics as well as nail polish.  Was that a good thing?  Do you think their nail polish is as good as their makeup, if you like their makeup?

Neutrogena also started out with limited products.  I remember when they just made mostly products for acne, like bar soap or gel treatments.  NOW, they make a wide range of cosmetics.  I don't know if they made sunscreen back then, cause sun protection wasn't a big thing in those days.  But they are one of the leaders in sunscreen makers now.

I've used Neutrogena since high school.  I do like that they branched out into cosmetics, but their eye shadows & lipsticks aren't as good as other drugstore brands, like Revlon.  I don't know about their blush, concealer, etc.  I do like their Healthy Skin Enhancer foundation though.

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

1 Reply

volta
elite
2 years, 2 months ago
Re: What company started out with just limited products & later really expanded? Was that a good thing?

François Nars (one of my personal artistic heroes) originally created his cosmetic line Nars (my favorite) as just a line of lipsticks, but has evolved into everything imaginable from skincare to color. Now days, Nars has a major influence in fashion and the cosmetics industry as a whole. 

I think it's definitely interesting to see brands expand. Although it can be costly to develop products and market them through a trial-and-error process, I think expansion and researching/discovering the needs of their loyal fanbase can pave the way into creating innovative products that revolutionize the industry. 

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend