Home » Community » Message Boards » Skin Central » Are exfoliators really bad for you skin?

Discussion

Are exfoliators really bad for you skin?

My mom told me that she heard exfoliators are bad for your skin... is that true?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

3 Replies

volta
elite
2 years, 2 months ago
Re: Are exfoliators really bad for you skin?

It depends on your skin and the exfoliator itself. Exfoliators with larger beads or seed are more likely to cause tearing on the skin which can lead to even flakier skin. Some people with tougher and more tolerant skin can still get away using larger particle exfoliators without a problem. Many new exfoliators are being made with micro-beads which don't cause as much damage. 

Depending on your skin, you really shouldn't exfoliate more than twice a week. Then again, there are some people who like it every day and their skin can tolerate that, or there are people with more sensitve skin that can only do it once a week. The reason you need to spread out exfoliating is that you need to give your skin some time to heal and repair itself.

In my opinion, exfoliating is a great way to smooth out the texture of your skin, but also slough off the dead skin that can clog your pores and lead to breakouts. Exfoliating can also make your complexion radiant and over time, help with hyperpigmentation. 

RaraGiggles89
insider
2 years, 2 months ago
Re: Are exfoliators really bad for you skin?

I have mega-sensitive skin, and I would be prone to broken capillaries on my cheeks  (little tiny breakings of veins..very common on people with high colouring that blush easily like myself) so my beauty therapist told me that exfoliators, if not the right type were really really bad for my skin, and could cause my veins in my cheeks to break! And they are just really stripping skin off my face unnecessarily. So she said so make sure to never go for exfoliators with really "gritty" particles in them. I find the "Yes to" range excellent, they do not have harmful chemicals in them and the "Yes to Carrots" facial scrub is really good as the particles are not too harsh on my skin!

Hope this helps

CaroleVonAllten
elite
2 years, 2 months ago
Exfoliators are not bad for your skin

Philosophy makes the :Microdelivery System: exfoliator. It can be used every day. It has very small, imperceptible beads, so is therefore not damaging to your skin. It is almost gel like. Everyday our dermis develops sebum, that can lead to pimples, white heads, and blackheads. You want to remove this daily with a gentle exfolient. I mix the exfolient with Philosophy Purity to also wash my face. I do this in the evening after a day of wearing foundation. I also use a Clarisonic Mia, that really cleanses deeply. I have been doing this for quite some time now, and my skin looks flawless.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend