Home » Community » Message Boards » Everything Makeup » The Best Red Lipstick going?

Discussion

The Best Red Lipstick going?

I neglect my lip make-up, I admit it! I will spend AGES doing my eye makeup but then stick on a slick of lip gloss and not bother with any lipliner etc. But, I am going to invest in some good lipliner after my next payday comes so I would like some nice new lipsticks and keep the glosses for casual wear! So, has anyone any suggestions for me on good colours and shades? The hardest shade to get the perfect colour of is red but any advice would be great! If possible, post a little picture of the lippie too :)

Thanks ladies!

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

10 Replies

CaroleVonAllten
elite
2 years, 1 month ago
Red lipstick

MAC has the best selection going. They also have lip liners that match the lipstick. I like orangey red, and I can't remember the name, and I live in a 2 story house with a broken leg, and my makeup bag is downstairs. I just remembered ---it's called Salsa. Best to look at the colors yourself. If you have cool tone skin, go with the blue based reds; warm skin tone, then the orange based reds. The blue reds do not look good on everyone. Best to sample. I put the liner around lip line but also on lips. This makes the lipstick last longer, and if your lipstick comes off, like after eating, then you still have color in your lips. Carole VonAllten

Rahiella
insider
2 years, 1 month ago
Red Lipstick

I love the colors from Covergirl queen collection.  There is one called ruby slipper. And NYX cosmetics has creme lip colors as well.  Good luck!

volta
elite
2 years, 1 month ago
Re: The Best Red Lipstick going?

Make Up For Ever has the BEST lipsticks that I am in love with. They have their famous Moulin Rouge lipstick which is a pure red. Their Lab Shine lip glosses are also to die for--they feel lightweight and never sticky.

RaraGiggles89
insider
2 years, 1 month ago

I have quite a high colouring (I blush waaay too easily) so I would need to be careful at picking the right shade of red without looking like a strawberry! so.. an orange based red would be for me? And thank you for suggestions of good brands, its important to invest in some that you know fellow makeup lovers trust!

TheLacqueredLady
elite
2 years, 1 month ago

I am a huge red lipstick fan. My favorites come from the L'oreal product line (color riche or color riche anti aging) and from the Maybelline line - they have several dozen red lipstick shades and most stores carry at least a dozen. My absolute favorite red hands down is L'oreal Anti-Aging Color Riche in Royal Red - it is a true red. L'Oreal also makes a universal red lipstick exclusive to Target stores called Target Red. I have had great luck with it as well. You can also go for a highly pigmented red gloss to see if you even like the color on you and which undertones work best.

My blog has an ongoing series about the search for the perfect red lipstick. You may find it helpful as it contains swatches and other information: http://thelacqueredlady.blogspot.com/search/label/The%20Thrill%20of%20the%20Hunt

To some extent finding the perfect red is just about trial and error, which is why I recommend buying less expensive products to figure out the types of shade you want, and then purchasing a higher end lipstick (if you so choose) once you really know what you want.

RaraGiggles89
insider
2 years ago

Clinique have amazing quality lipsticks don't they? I invested in M.A.C's Russian Red, and I am hooked on rouge lips now! What shade of Red is Russian Red, I am woeful at knowing a blue-based red vs an orange-based red!

powerwoman033
elite
2 years ago

Hi RaraGiggles89,

The above suggestions are all amazing!  I would add that you want to figure out if you have a cool, warm, or neutral skin tone.  The easiest way to figure this out is to look at the veins on your inner wrist and if they are mostly blue, you have a cool skin tone.  If your veins look more green, you have a warm skintone.  If your veins are hidden my your skin color, you are neutral and can wear anything.  If you have a cool skin tone, try a red with a blue undertone.  If you have a warm skin tone, try an orange based red.  I hope this helps!Kiss

TeresaDouglas
2 years ago

Raragiggles89,

Yes, I do love the quality of Clinique lipstick! I need to get some more Angel Red because I'm running low. 100% Red is another Clinique color - it's a very bright red, but is also pretty.

RaraGiggles89
insider
2 years ago

thanks ladies, as always, great advice!

Warm reds are for me, so will look for some orange based ones!

Have also heard blue-based makes teeth look whiter?

TeresaDouglas
2 years ago

I absolutely adore red lipstick. I favor the deeper blue-reds over the bright orangy-reds, but have some of both in my makeup collection. My current favorite is Rimmel London's Burgundy Shine, and I also like OPI's Royal Rajah Ruby and Clinique's Angel Red.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend