Home » Community » Message Boards » Everything Makeup » Lip liner!

Discussion

Lip liner!

ok.. I have a confession to make... I have NEVER tried to use lip liner!! I just heard horror stories of how it could go horribly wrong and decided to stay clear. But I have been hearing how it can help make your lips look fuller? Can anyone give me any tips, even the basics for a lip liner virgin would be good!

Thanks in advance!

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

10 Replies

starla_pattonpaulus
insider
1 year, 11 months ago
Lip Liner

I admit it.  I can't use a lipstick without a lip liner.  I'm a child of the 80's!  To me, it makes all the difference if you FILL IN our entire lip w/the liner, not just the outer rim.  It gives your lip color staying power and when it does fade, it won't leave that weird line around your lip.  That's just tacky no matter what the circumstance is!  Also, using a liner gives my lips definition.  I don't have a precise lip shape so my liner creates it for me.  Hope this helps!  Kiss

volta
elite
2 years, 2 months ago
Re: Lip liner!

An artistry trick to making your lips look fuller is to go slightly outside the natural lip line--not too much or else it looks obvious, but to follow outside the line. It really does make a huge difference! 

I love using lip liner becaucause other than the fact that it keeps your lipstick in place (rather than it melting outside your lips and onto your face), but it really does make applying lipstick much easier because if you chose a color that's similar to the lipstick, you don't have to worry about putting on the lipstick perfectly. 

Top your lipstick off with a swipe of gloss as an additional way to make lips look plumper. 

There are several different kinds of lip liner. From traditional colored liners, to sheer invisible ones so you don't have to buy different colors for each lipstick you have, to "reverse" liners where you outline the outside of your lip to brighten the area around your lips. 

RaraGiggles89
insider
2 years, 2 months ago

thanks ladies, think I am sold on the idea of investing in a good lip liner so.. the harder part will be trying to get a liner that matches, I will be new to all that! Which shades would you suggest as "safe" colours?

powerwoman033
elite
2 years ago

I only have one suggestion when it coms to lip liner...go with clear!  I have tried colored lip liner from almost every brand and they ALL end up on just the outline of your lips and it is not attractive!  I always covered my whole lip, like you are supposed to, but I always get the same results.  If you go with a clear liner, you draw in the whole lip and outline it like normal, for all of the benefits of lip liner, but you will never have to worry about ring around the lips!  Kiss

CaroleVonAllten
elite
2 years, 2 months ago
Lip liner

I swear by MAC liner and lipstick that matches. The lip liner keeps the lipstick on your lips and does not allow it to migrate to the little lines around your mouth. It can also be used to extend the longevity of your lipstick. If I know I will not get a chance to apply lipstick for a while, I put the lip liner all over my lips, like a lipstick. Then I put the lipstick on. If I go for a while without the opportunity to reapply, I am all set, because there is the long lasting lip liner still showing.

TheLacqueredLady
elite
2 years, 2 months ago
Go for natural colors

I too am not a fan of lipliner. To be honest, I dont think it makes a difference to my look. If you want a versatile liner, go for one that is just a shade darker than your lips. Use it to line the lips and to fill in the lips, then apply your lipstick on top. Another trick is to line the outside of your lips is a nude or soft gray tone to create a shadow effect. This seems like alot of work to me, but many people swear it makes their lips look larger.

TeresaDouglas
2 years ago

I've never gotten into the habit of wearing lip liner on a regular basis. I have full lips to begin with and rarely have a problem with migrating lipstick, so that's probably why. I do own several Clinique lip liners in neutral colors.

RaraGiggles89
insider
2 years ago

thanks for the advice, nude/clear is probably the way to go for me!

darkangel81
allstar
2 years ago

I use lip liner every now and then, but I would invest in a good nude lipliner.  My favorite is from Mary Kay in Neutral.  I also like Wet N. Wild lipliner #666.  The shade is Brandy Wine.  It looks darker  when you see it but, when you apply, you can control the amount of color.  This shade is a universal shade that looks good on anyone, if you want to try out a lipliner with color.  Goes great with a clear or pink lip gloss on top.

Hope this helps!

Thorne
allstar
1 year, 11 months ago
Fuller lips with lip liner

Lip liner is the most misused makeup prodcuct ever!  There is definitely an art to lip liner.  Cartoon outline Wonder Woman lips are just not good outside the pages of a comic book.

I like to use my makeup to subtly contour my features and enhance them. 

For lips, mine are naturally slightly purple.  I use Clinique's Quickliner in Bamboo which is a shade deeper than my natural lip.  I start on the upper lip and draw dots at the points and connect them (round them off a bit--you do not want sharp points.  Follow the shape of the upper lip to the corners, lightly fill in with the pencil and soften with a lip brush.  On the bottom, trace the outside of the lip line.  Then fill in the corners and feather toward the center of the bottom lip without going all the way.  you want the bottom corners to be darker and gradually feather the color lighter toward the center, no liner in the center.  This shading will create the illusion that the bottom center of your lip is larger and more pouty.  Then I soften the lines with a lip brush so there are no defined sharp lines on the inside--just shading your lips, lightly dust translucent powder over your lips, and then apply lipstick.  I like Clinique Soft Shine lipstick in bamboo pink or guava stain.  To further create a fuller pouty look, you can add a dab of lip gloss just to the center of the bottom lip.  It will add shine which will make your lip look fuller as well. 

Shininess brings features forward, matte--to the back.  You can use a similar contouring effect which blush & bronzer on your cheeks and eye shadow as well.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend