Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Dry, Damaged, Curly Hair

Discussion

Dry, Damaged, Curly Hair

My hair is very curly, dry and damaged Cry. I've tried Moroccanoil, Redken, Pantene, Tigi, WEN, and so many more but none of them have workedFrown. So what can I do, what products out there will help? Plus I'd like to loosen my curls, I still want them but not as tight and kinky. So if you know of any treatments or products (or both) please let me know!

P.S. I've been thinking about trying label.m? Should I or no? 

Thank you!Smile

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

12 Replies

GigiSD
elite
1 month, 3 weeks ago
Re: Dry, Damaged, Curly Hair

Neutrogena's "Triple Renewal Volume Boosting Shampoo" and Conditioner or their "Triple Moisture Cream Lather Shampoo" and Conditioner have changed my hair for the better in a way I cannot even describe! My curls are soft, shiny, supple, and my hair is never weighed down. Frizz is tamed and dry ends are disappearing (my stylist was shocked!). Even if I go three days without washing my hair (a rarity, but it happens), it's still in great shape and looks clean.

HauteHousewife
insider
2 years, 2 months ago
Curly hair care

My hair sounds very similar to yours.  I use the Pureology moisture line.  It changed the texture/appearance of my hair.  I have been using it for ten years now and I try something new about once a year and always go back to Pureology.  I also use their Shine Mousse to style my curls and it leaves your hair looking like you just woke up with perfect curls.  I use their deep coniditioner about once a month and it keeps tangles in check.  There are also other things you can do to take care of your curly hair, like combing through it in the shower after you've applied your conditioner and then NOT combing/brushing it after you get out.  Also, using a clean shirt to dry your hair as opposed to a towel makes a big difference in frizz.  I also have really thick hair so for me washing it less often helps with frizz and overall healthy appearance.  Good luck, curly hair is definitely high maintenance but so beautiful!!

erinlk01
1 month, 3 weeks ago

I highly recommend that you check out Pro Naturals hair care. This stuff is truly amazing for repairing and preventing hair damage. It leaves hair soft, shiny and manageable. You can see more at www.rylees.ca

LittleBunny
elite
2 years, 2 months ago

I would recommend the haircare brand Giovanni. You can find it at Ulta and Target. The Smooth as Silk line is one of the few beauty products that I have found that lives up to its name(you can check out many positive reviews for it on this site, including mine.) The products are very gentle and Sulfate free, so they won't strip or damage your already dry hair. It should really help restore some of your hair's moisture and softness. Good luck!

LittleBunny
elite
2 years, 2 months ago

I second the Garnier leave-in cream. That stuff is an absolute miracle. I stock up and will never be without it-- currently there are 5 extra bottles under my sink!

vickie_anderson_kidwell
2 years, 2 months ago
Dry, Damaged Curly Hair

The best hair products that I have found are the John Frieda products, and he makes products for every type of hair.  He has Root Awakening, Repair products, hair coloring, glazes, Blonde, Red, and Brunette products that work for specific colors, and a variety of shampoos, conditioners, hair sprays, and I have used many of his products, with great success.  Also, his website has information for specific problems.  I hope this helps!

icrydiam0ndz85
2 years, 2 months ago

I too have very curly dry hair. I use Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment. I apply it to my hair when it is dry and sleep with it in my hair overnight covering it with a shower cap. I shampoo and condition in the morning and see awesome results everytime. I do this about once a month for a deep conditioning treatment. 

CaroleVonAllten
elite
2 years, 2 months ago
Dry, Damaged Curly hair

I had the same problem until I saw an ad for Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Intensely smooth Leave in Conditioning Cream. Wow! What a difference. No more dry frizz.. I now have shiny, non greasy beautiful hair. I used to think Garnier was just cheap hair products. This out performs any other leave in conditioner, and cost only $4.00 at Walgreens. I really recommend it. I have no more frizz and funny bits sticking out. I am growing out my hair so I will have waves instead of funny curls. This does the job. My growing out hair actually looks nice and healthy, too.

crazyangel
insider
2 years, 2 months ago
Loving my hair curly or straight.

I used to have the same problem. My hair was unruly and I also decided to start straightening my hair. I tried many things and finally came across the Garnier products. WOW, what a difference it made in my hair, I can wear it curly with no frizz at all or I can straighten it and either way my hair shines, yes shines. I had never had that before with the curly hair and frizziness. Another trick that I use is I keep a wide tooth comb in the shower and after I apply my conditioner I comb it through my hair and I leave it on for three minutes, then I do a cold rinse. I follow up with the leave in conditioner and if I am straightening it I use the sleek and shine flat iron perfector. I also use the sleek and shine frizz defeat deep treatment once a week. I told a friend about these products whose hair was frizzier than mne. She tried them and she too is sold on these products. Great product at an awesome price, try it. Wink

islands4me
insider
2 years, 2 months ago
Dry, Damaged, Curly Hair

So know how you feel .... I have thick, heavily processed (colored with highlights..many times) hair that's straight on outside layer, curly in middle layer and just flat out frizz underneath. Then, with a drop of moisture, bam, I'm fro'd. Everyone else in my family has either straight or slightly wavy hair. I used to just keep it "natural" but the styles these days ... 

HERE IT IS .. Shampoo & conditioners ... L'Oreal EverCreme Sulfate-Free Intense-Nourishing (I think this sulfrate free thing really works). As a follow-up styling lotion that helps with styling "machines" (dry), I use Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion (smells wonderful). I also use this on my wet hair then let it air dry. Really makes your hair shiny. I recommend this over the Freida products, bumble & bee, and even higher priced products. For heavy weather/styling I use the Organic Root creme .. EXTRA RICH FOR DRY, THIRSTY HAIR. Really. I have walked by women who have swiveled their necks to catch a whiff (saw their back-cracker next day?). Find it in the black hair products in Target, Walgreen, Walmart, etc. but ORGANIC ROOT does it for my hair ... bet it does it for other types of hair, too. So inexpeensive, you have nothing to lose except that frizzy mop. And, no, I don't work for them but I am thrilled I found the creme a few years ago and then the styling lotion a few months ago. WOW, what a difference!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend